rks asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 10 years ago

Will Master of Arts degree from USA allow me to work and settle in USA?

What is the post-study work and settlement scope in USA? I wish to earn higher degree from a US university to work in my preferred career and get permanent residence.

6 Answers

  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer


    There is no post-study work and settlement scope in USA. It simply does not exist in the immigration regulations of USA that an international student can apply for permanent resident in USA when they graduate. Plain and simple. What you can do though is apply for a temp or permanent residence while you are studying or about to finish if you qualify, by that I mean if you found a sponsor, like an employer or future family member who can sponsor you. It is a long haul to the green card if you found an employer.

    Mind you, you can not enter USA if you are planning on this, it is grounds for inadmissibility. To obtain a student visa, you must be covered financially and have ties to your country. I know it puzzles a lot of people, and the best way to address this is to truthfully wanting to study in USA to make your life better outside USA.

    You do not have to study in USA to actually become employed. A better way is to talk to people who have similar careers on sites like linkedin. Do not ask for jobs though, ask for information on the type of skills needed, salaries, qualifications and most importantly introductions trying to reach the decision maker in your employer target list ( did I mention that before you start you have to have a list of major employers in your industry), and travel to meet with the decision makers. It is very much less expensive than hundred thousands dollars. ( for more on this tip and how to make work for you contact http://www.facebook.com/talal.owen )

    Another alternative you might want to consider is becoming a permanent residence of Canada, this way you are in a better strategic position to land your job of your dreams in Canada. USA and Canada have close ties and it has proven to be useful in employment.

    let me know how things turned out and if my advice worked out for you, and please leave feedback and comments.



    Add me http://www.facebook.com/dianasalem


    Find your immigration passion now!

  • 10 years ago

    NO. You need a degree in the sciences to settle in the USA.

    For a foreign student with an F-1 student visa to become a US permanent resident and eventually a citizen, the process is:

    Once you are about to get your degree you find an employer willing to hire you when you graduate. You are allowed to work for 1 year under what is called OPT under your visa but the job MUST be related to your degree.

    During this year, you convince the employer you are worth the $5000 to sponsor you for an H-1B visa. Normally the application must be made on April 1st. If they get you approved for an H-1B, your OPT time will be extended to October 1, which is the normal start date for an H-1B visa. The H-1B is normally good for 3 years and can be renewed for one additional three year term. An H-1B is easier to get if you have a masters or PhD.

    To get an H-1B you need a degree in a “STEM” field. These are fields in the sciences, technology, engineering or medicine that are in demand in the USA. A masters degree is best. Such a degree will get you an H-1B. An Arts degree will not.

    The catch is that the labor certification rules for an H-1B became tougher last year and if a US citizen with equivalent qualifications can be found you are out of luck. This pretty well means that only people with highly technical degrees can qualify. Anyone with a degree in non technology areas will not likely qualify for an H-1B as there are no shortages of US citizens with non-technology degrees.

    The reason you need to go through getting the H-1B is because it is a bridge to allow you to remain in the USA while the green card application is processed. If you have a masters or PhD, the green card process takes almost 3 years. Without this step, you will have to leave the USA while the green card is being processed.

    Once they have obtained an H-1B then you have a while to convince the employer to file for a green card for you. This will cost them about $14,000 so you better be worth it. Depending on your degree this process takes between 3 and 10 years to process. However, your H-1B will be extended for as long as necessary.

    At any time you can short circuit this process by marrying a US citizen. In that case, the US citizen, who has to be over 21 and making more than 125% of a poverty line income, has to file the paperwork. The best thing is if they hire an immigration consultant to do it.

  • Jeanne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    I have known a hospitality grad from the University of Central Florida (in Orlando) and I know that Florida State University (in Tallahasee) also has a good Hospitality/Management Program, but both of those are undgergrad programs.

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    Of course.

    Even, if you go to Arizona, maybe you can be governor there. At least you have a high education, the non elected gov there I heard she didn't even finish community college.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago


    You will need to

    1. find an employer to sponsor you

    2. marry an American

    3. have enough money to start a business and hire Americans

    getting a degree from a US school or buying property will not get you a green card.

  • 10 years ago

    The USA is full of immigrants, please stay in your country and make a difference there. We have enough of our own college graduates. Thanks for asking as best of luck to you in your endeavors.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.