Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Does your china cabinet match your dining room table?

We have a matching set at the moment but it's very old. It's lovely and belonged to my grandmother. I think my dad called the style French Provincial. It's a dark brown wood with curved detailed molding. Anyways we're moving in a few months and my hubby wants to buy a new table that is more modern. So I was wondering if we got a new table but kept the cabinet, would it look odd if they don't match?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is definitely nicer to have your Dining table set match your China Cabinet, but it's not 100% necessary to make the Dining room come together. Also figure in that you might use a table cloth to cover the table from time to time which will alter the feel of the room anyway. Your new modern table may still look amazing next to the china cabinet. It all depends on the color, style, texture, etc. Good luck and happy shopping and moving!

• 5 years ago

Source(s): Ultimate 16000 Woodworking Plans - http://woodworkingplans.siopu.com/?DqGA
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

There is a wine/buffet hutch in this collection, but no china cabinet. If you look at the Collections of this product, you will see the piece I'm talking about. You don't have to match everything perfectly. If you had a china cabinet in the same wood tone, it should be fine. The wood tones wouldn't even have to match exactly - just be similar in tone. For instance, you wouldn't want to put a retro blonde china cabinet with this group, nor a maple or oak country piece. But a dark mahogany china cabinet, in a simple style, would work well. The legs are turned on the chairs and table, but the chair backs are straight lines. Look at the legs on the wine/buffet hutch, and its straight lines. This is the style you need for a china cabinet.

• 1 decade ago

Personally, I like my china cabinet to match my table. But if you can't have that, then at least they wood tone should match. Don't have a dark wood cabinet with a light toned table.

If you get upholstered chairs and put a table cloth on the table most of the time, they will 'match' whether they really do or not!

Happy shopping!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

My china cabinet is from the 40's and doesn't match my table. Keep the new table and chairs in the same color family of brown(no mahogany or cherry) and clean lines so as not to compete with the cabinet.

• 1 decade ago

Match something else about the china cabinet to the table you get- color, flourish,hardware style. I totally support eclectic "clashes" in design!

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This is one of the best collection of plans I’ve seen: https://tr.im/2odJD

There is enough variety of projects in here, big and small, intricate and simple, and you can pick out new ones as you progress in your woodworking abilities.

It’s a great feeling knowing you made something by hand. It’s always fun to show off your craftsmanship, and ladies love it too!

• 1 decade ago

1] if your curretn set is lovely, why buy a new one?

2] put a modern one in the kitchen instead

3] my set matches, but most people's [ outside of furniture showrooms ] don't.

Source(s): experience
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

mine doesn't

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.