what is a better survival knife, cold steel sk-5 or Ka-bar bowie?

• Visor
    Favorite Answer

Cold steel doesn't make a knife called SK-5, it is the steel, equivalent of AISI 1080, that they use in several knives, so which one do you have in mind?

Ka-Bar uses 1095 steel in their carbon steel knives, which has more carbon in it.

Here is the exact composition comparison of those two - http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm...

All else equal, i.e. blade geometry, best heat treatment for each steel, etc, 1095 will hold better edge and SK5 or 1080 will be a little tougher. Although, to tell the difference in performance you would have to conduct quite specific tests, and sharpen rather thin angles on the edges. I doubt the difference in edge holding will be noticeable with factory standard 40deg inclusive angle.

In the end, in a real world the steel won't make that much difference, so whichever knife you like better is the better one for you.

Source(s): 12+ years of knife collecting, sharpening and research.

The KA-BAR was designed mainly as a fighting and hunting/utility knife, not as a purpose-built "survival" knife (a concept that's relatively new). Also - those KA-BAR style knives that have the sawbacks on the blunt side are basically half-assed saws that are honesly not good for much. The ones that have hollow handles which can store small items like matches, fishing hooks and the like are certainly better than just a plain old knife. Those multi-tools as sold by Gerber and Leatherman, which are like Swiss Army knives except that they have usable pliers, are really much better for all-around "survival" use than a regular knife. As a combat weapon, the KA-BAR is pretty good, certainly better than a Leatherman or packsaw - but really - if I were going into the bush and could only have one bladed tool/weapon, it wouldn't be a KA-BAR - it would be one of those better quality machetes that have a sawback. I'd take a machete over a knife any day in a combat situation.

Cold Steel Sk5

Both are quality blades. Either one will do. I however must stick with SOG. I have the TigerShark...It is the best. Good enough for the SEALs, good enough for me.

http://sogknives.com/store/fixed.html

Source(s): Knife fan....

a kbar and keep it on your belt,,