how do you get bugs out of your house?

I moved into an apartment a few months ago. it is in the basement of an old apartment.

After a month or two I'm pretty sure a mouse or rat died in a wall that abutted the storage section of the basement. It smelled really horrible and my landlord came to check it out, he told me that there wasn't anything he could do unless he cut out the wall. We agreed that I would call him back if it got worse, and he gave me industrial strength deodorizer in the mean time. Well the smell went away then for a week or two I had some tiny moth things flying about, those died off but i still see one or two. I also have flies occasionally and spiders, but I think they are unrelated.

I don't like having ANY bugs at all but I don't think that they're bad enough to complain about since they are just one or two harmless bugs. My chihuahua really likes catching the moths and flies anyhow so they don't stick around...

I just don't know how they're getting in, and i want to know the best way to prevent them. I'm not used to living anywhere that has any bugs at all. I am phobic of cenitpedes and I'm worried they'll be next.

i don't leave food out and i'm not a messy person. I don't think I'm attracting them.

• John W
    Favorite Answer

Put all your food containers into ziploc bags and set off one of those bug bombs while you and the dog take a four hour walk in the park. Be sure to wash your dishes and wipe down the table tops afterwards.

store your food outside.