What programme are you stuyding in college.......?

What are you studing in college? How does your intention to study for a particular programme fit into you career plans? How will it enhance the development of your organization?

______________________________________________________________________________________

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I have too many BA/S's to count, multiple masters from the biological sciences to the fine arts, and a DD and ABD in a second doctorate in Special Ed -- I started in what we in California call, "Liberal Studies" which is about the equivalent of “Liberal Arts” -- it exposes you to a multitude of subject matter - from History and Geography to biological and physical sciences to music, philosophy, sociology, psychology, art, writing, literature of special types – Eastern, Western, US, Russian – African, or from time periods, or time periods, --120 units of basic overview classes, and many of us graduated with closer to 130-145

But remember: The RULE OF THUMB IS 3 HOURS OF STUDY FOR EVERY HOUR IN CLASS!!!. Keep that in mind. So while I might be able to do a Literature class in about three or five hours of simply reading a week (or speed reading an all-nighter so I only spend one night of panic study), Chemistry would take me 15 hours a week - for a 3 unit class so the 3:1 is an average, art was often 0 hours a week, until mid terms or finals when it could take 18 or 20 hours in a few days.

You can generally have a major and minor or a ‘double major’ with a single or double ‘minor’ so you can mix and match favorite subjects, since a BA/S is only the platform for the required Masters. And while the BA/S can be difficult an MA/S is often easy because all classes are focused on ONE thing, not many things, and it’s something you love, not some things that you hate and suck at doing.

More often in Liberal Arts than other majors, you can custom design a special major or minor by negotiating with the faculty and the Curriculum committee – so once, before there was such a field of study, I started a self-made ‘special masters’ in Arecho-Astronomy – I was interested in how people first came to tell time, and there was very little copiled information to get a world view of how people did this.

The idea of say 'Liberal Studies' is that it opens MANY doors and closes very few. You may THINK you want X -- say Art -- yet when you start doing math, you become amazed at how an equation will expand and contract -- and form "art on a page” and the higher up you go, the more elegant the art becomes, and soon you are working in a completely man made universe made up of nothing but rules, like poker or Monopoly -- learn the rules play the game – so it gives you a chance to try on many different subject beyond your General Education. To go just a little deeper.

Now it's even more important because in Liberal Arts you have the chance to study the Geography of Time. Wow! think about that! The influence of time on the patterns of Human endeavor -- or the Spatial concepts of Geography -- how space and placement of objects determining the flow of human populations -- from migration routes out of Africa, to how traffic clumps up on roads and how round-abouts, common in Europe but are just NOW beginning to be accepted in America as a better use of space-time than a stop light or stop sign.

Or how, in early on, the "allied forces" in Vietnam would camouflage their artillery pieces and place them in the open or in tarp covered pits on ridge lines to 'control' a lower laying area. We'd look up and never see them, BUT the people who lived there called a color Americans called 'Tan' -- a mixture of brown and yellow -- called 'yellow'. So it was just like having a huge YELLOW FLAG by each piece of artillery! Finding the answer nearly any liberal arts student would know how to do -- find out what colors are called what -- You use a “color card” like one from your paint store only bigger and more formal and ask 'what color is red - well there's an area (depending on the size of the card) from 1 inch square, to 4 inches square that WE call red. The color is social and cultural in perception. As Inuit First People from Canada - above and below the artic circle they point to different colors -and they have FAR more names for white than we do. Just as they have between 200 and 300 words for 'snow' they have between 50 and 90 words for 'white' and they have about 50-70 words for 'black'! You don’t learn to think like that in business class or in chemistry or math.

Why is all this important? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW! -- so, when faced with a problem, the more you know, the more options for a solution you can come up with. You learn amazing critical thinking skills which can never fail you were ever you go. For example in one class our mid term was:

Below is the required author and one of your choice, PLEASE CHOOSE ONE AND COMPARE: 1) Mumford with Twain.

2) Mumford with Melville.

3) Mumford with Paine

4) Mumford with Polo (as in Marco)

That’s all. You better be able to think fast and quick and on your feet running. Liberal Arts gives you the broad ideas and some specific ideas in MANY fields so if you don’t know the EXACT answer, you can come close.

A statistics teacher once said

Source(s): Retired college proff, and now do take classes for fun, but having taught and having many degrees, I look back and think that THIS was not just the BEST choice, but the WISEST choice. Just as it closes fewer doors at the BA/S level, a Masters opens far more doors than a Doctorate -- though you make more money, when money is scarce, everyone knows if you can do a Masters you can do Doctoral level work, everyone except people with doctorates! GENERALIZE, THEN specialize. You can’t think about what you don’t know exists! Learn what’s out there, what’s easy for you, THEN specialize. Some chefs do pastry others do meat – some just sauces – others just soups. But they can each do it all, they just chose what make them the happiest.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

English major. I needed this degree (or any other) in order to get my Bachelor of Education degree. Any university or college program will enhance organization!

• 10 years ago

everything we studying , career ,.. will depend on our attitude , interest , and talent in subject.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.