Is it really forbidden to celebrate birthdays in Islam?

I just saw a question on here and it said "do not celebrate birthdays. its forbidden" when they were talking about Islam; so if there are any Muslims here could you tell me if that is true?

Favorite Answer

Hi,

I am an islamic research scholar and I have researched this subject in detail. For something to be forbidden in Islam the rule is simple. Either Quran (Word of God) should forbid it or the Sunna (Prophets saying) or the thing should be harmful/evil.

THIS IS ONE OF THE CONTROVERSIAL ISSUES LIKE MUSIC, PICTURES AND HIJAB. FOLLOWING IS THE WAY I DEEM THE MOST CORRECT BUT IF YOU ARE CONVINCED BY THE OTHER VIEW...ITS OKAY...

Islam teaches Muslim to have a unique character and to be distinguished. A Muslim is weaned on morality and avoiding blind imitation. Islam supports the celebration of a birthday if it is an expression of gratitude to Allah for His bounties, sustenance and blessings in man’s life, as long as that celebration does not include anything that may displease Allah, the Almighty.

Focusing on the issue of celebrating birthdays, we would like to start by citing the following:

"In Islam, birthdays are not considered `eid (a festival) like `Eidul-Fitr or `Eidul-Adha, because `eids have conditions and guidelines such as not being allowed to fast during the days of Eid. Therefore, birthdays are simply occasions of a person's date of birth and are a matter of culture. If a person wants to commemorate his/her date of birth, then he/she may do so, especially if he/she takes the opportunity to reflect on the past and pledge to be better during the following year. However, to make the birthday an important occasion is not recommended or encouraged." (Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islamicity.com)

Shedding more light on the issue, the prominent Muslim scholar Sheikh Tajuddin Hamid Al-Hilali, Mufti of Australia and New Zealand, states:

"A Muslim has a distinguished personality. He should not imitate others in evil things and leave the good ones. Talking to our children about their birthdays, we should remind them that on such days they should remember the blessings of Allah and praise Him for giving them life and guidance. It would be better if we ask them to offer something in charity as a form of showing gratitude.

Still there is nothing wrong if we try to make them feel happy on that day as long as we are using lawful things. It is better if we make it a day ahead or a day after. You said that your children insist on having such a celebration, and this is really dangerous. If the child insists on having his desires fulfilled at this early age, what is going to happen when he grows older? We need to be alarmed and never allow Western traditions that are based on individualism, to ruin our families. Thus, calling birthdays `eids is not accepted, for this has no basis in Islam. At the same time, there is nothing wrong if we use these occasions to inculcate Islamic principles in our children, like showing gratitude to Allah, praising Him and seizing the chance of this life in performing good deeds since the older we grow the nearer to the grave we come."

Speaking about the same issue Sheikh Faysal Mawlawi, Deputy Chairman of the European Council for Fatwa and Research, adds:

“Permissibility is the original ruling in this case, as there is no evidence of prohibition. The principle of not following the Jews and Christians is really required in matters of their false claims and beliefs in relation to religion. Such beliefs are no more than disbelief from an Islamic perspective.

Islam supports the celebration of birthdays if it is an expression of gratitude to Allah for His bounties, sustenance and blessings in man’s life, as long as that celebration does not include anything that may displease Allah, the Almighty. In this context the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays, and he answered: “It is the day on which I was born.” Muslim scholars take this hadith and the hadith of fasting on the Day of `Ashura’ (10th of Mharram) as evidence on the permissibility of celebrating good occasions, which have special significance in our religion such as occasions like the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

In this context, people must be aware that celebrating such occasions, e.g. the Prophet’s birthday, is no more than a matter of habit, and by no means a religious requirement. However, if it entails any forbidden practices, such a celebration becomes forbidden for that reason alone. Moreover, a celebration of this sort becomes recommended if it includes recommended acts of worship.

It is also right to say that such celebrations contain some aspects of innovation, however it is an innovation in matters of popular habits not in matters of religion. Actually innovation in habits is not prohibited. What is prohibited in this context is innovation in religion, as indicated in a well-known Prophetic hadith.

By analogy, there is nothing wrong in celebrating birthdays, as long as the celebration does not include any forbidden practices. People used to share sweets on an happy occasion and there nothing wrong if ca

• 6 years agoReport

Bro Ali. Its been 4 years from your idea of Birthday ... i hope you change you mind in birthday now. if still you are in the same idea of celebr birthday is not BidA , then please let me know . i want to talk to you.

Celebrating Birthdays In Islam

• raper

Islamic Birthday

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): forbidden celebrate birthdays islam: https://shortly.im/dRLCa

I have no clue about Islam- but the Jehovah's Witnesses do not "do birthdays". So sad, I think. Family celebrations are so wonderful- very loving and bonding. What could be nicer than to have the family gather for a feast, and be grateful to God for each family member's being born to us? A gift from God!

To me, it's being grateful to God for giving us each other, each life is precious.

• I guess u do not get d message clearly space monkey,it says celebrate your bday but in he way of remembering God and acknowledging Thee, so tel me what celebration could be greater than bringing the family to give thanks and praises to God for giving U life and at the same time evaluating yoursef?

In The Name Of Allah The Most Gracious The Most Merciful

Celebrating birthdays in Islam is ridiculous. Companions of the prophet (pbuh) used to regret SECONDS they spent without the remembrance of Allah, as a muslim you should sit down and ask yourself, what is it I have done for the sake of Allah within this entire year? how can I change?

The prophet (pbuh) says, "whoever has two days which are the same is truly amongst the losers" meaning that those that spend their time each day, living the same way and do not change anything in their lives to try to benefit or gain Allah's pleasure will be amongst the losers. Now ask yourself, how about those that live their lives the same way the entire year? I don't think celebrating should be the first thing to come to mind, but fear and repentance to the king of all kings Allah the almighty.

I'm muslim but in my country all religions here celebrated their birthday we also celebrated the prophet's birthday.....Why celebrating birthday is haram anyway?If you think it is ridiculous...it is maybe because how do you celebrate birthday...(I know, in Islam teaches,we need to fill our time with good and beneficial activities )

• borhan

its actually a part of a culture .not any religion .

celebrating birthday doesn't make christian any different .so its nothing serious .but Muslim have to be careful if they give a specific day too much importance without religious link .

• I agreed this,I'm muslim but in my country all religions here celebrated their birthday we also celebrated the prophet's birthday.....Why celebrating birthday is haram anyway?If you think it is ridiculous...it is maybe because how do you celebrate birthday...(I know, in Islam teaches,we need to fill

we muslims are required to follow quran first.thereafter doings and sayings(sunnah) of our beloved prophet mohammad sallallahoalaihewasallam.birthdays did come of his mother father and children but we dont get any proof or reference that he( prophet ) celebrated ANYONES birhday.even the four khalifaas,who loved prophet immensely did not celebrate his birhday. there is no mention about it anywhere.in islamic history.why should we muslims then celebrate birhdays. are we more prudent. KAMALAHMADMDS1@GMAIL.COM

Nope, not true. It's just some B.S that some Muslims have invented. Oh, yeah, I'm a Muslim as well but I don't believe in man-made rules.

Alhumdu-lillah great answer by Ali Sir