Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWrestling · 1 decade ago

What are your thoughts on the New Generation Era?

WWF late 1993 - late 1996 (some argue early 1997)

The Stars (at different points within the era): Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Razor Ramon (Scott Hall), Diesel (Kevin Nash), Shawn Micheals, 123 Kid (X-Pac), Mabel, Lex Luger, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Savio Vega, The Smoking Gunns, The Bodydonnas, The Godwinns, Psycho Sid, Mankind, Ahmed Johnson, Yokozuna, Bam Bam Bigelow, Goldust, Tatanka

• Geese
    Favorite Answer

I liked the New Generation era. The New Generation era contained the WWF's best actual wrestling matches. It may not have been the WWF's greatest era or its most entertaining period, that would be the Rock n' Wrestling Connection of the 1980's. But when I look back at The New Generation it contained great wrestling action. A few of my favorite matches which occurred during the era were the Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty match on RAW for the Intercontinental Championship (which Jannetty won); Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon ladder match at Wrestlemania X for the Intercontinental Championship and their rematch at Summer Slam 1995; the Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart brother vs. brother feud; Bret Hart vs. Curt Hennig King of the Ring 1993 rematch where they rekindled their Summer Slam 1991 classic. When the WWF vested more time in smaller athletic and agile wrestlers such as Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels the quality of the professional wrestling really took off and it showed.

Monday Night Raw featured a lot of great pay-per view quality wrestling matches, such as The Quebecers vs. Marty Jannetty and The 1-2-3 Kid for the Tag team Championship; The Steiner Brothers vs. The Quebecers in a "Province of Quebec" rules match for the WWF Tag team championship; Bret Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid for the WWF Championship, among many other great matches.

When you listed tag teams there was one really talented and great tag team you forgot to mention who competed during the "New Generation" era and that was the Jim Cornette managed Heavenly Bodies. They had some great matches against The Steiner Brothers (Summer Slam 1993) and against The Rock n' Roll Express for the Smokey Mountain Tag team Championship (Survivor Series 1993). I always felt they should have been pushed to the tag team title picture during their stint in the WWF but were never utilized to their full potential.

True, "New Generation" contained its share of cartoonish gimmicks such as Mantaur, Duke Droese, Aldo Montoya, Max Moon, Doink the Clown and Adam Bomb. But so what, who cares? I was not a big fan of Mantaur and Bastian Booger but the good outweighs the bad during the New Generation era. Montoya had a couple of good matches against Jeff Jarrett for Jarrett's Intercontinental Championship. Doink the Clown was very effective as a heel clown feuding with Crush, Marty Jannetty and Mr. Perfect until he was turned into a babyface and that turn kinda ruined him. Doink (Matt Borne) was also a very technicall proficient wrestler. And although some folks would laugh at Bomb's gimmick, Bomb was a very agile wrestler for a man his size at 6'7" and 292 lbs. Heck, I'll never forget that top rope clothesline he used to do against his opponents, such as Yokozuna.

No way was 1997 in the New Gen era because that's when WWE really pushed the limits. 96 was the end and start of the AE.

I think that it was a good era (better than now) but it wasn't as good as the 4 years preceeding it. 89,90,91,92 were all good years and the start of new directions that WWF took. New Gen was still good, but I feel that it didn't live up to what had preceeded it. It ended up good, when WCW was a threat. Back then, it was really laid back.