1234 asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 10 years ago

Vegetarians can be just as healthy as a non-vegetarian.?

I'm a junior in high school, vegetarian and writing a research paper on the pros and how a vegetarian diet is every bit as healthy as a meat eaters diet.

"Vegetarians can be just as healthy as a non-vegetarian" is that a good thesis?

And do you know any sites/resources I can use?

Could you send me links, I've gotta be as specific as possible.

Thank you.

Oh and if you could give me links that aren't .org that'd be better. My teacher doesn't like us using those.

Favorite Answer

@TeziStarr: I now have to consider the ADA to be a vegetarian/vegan propaganda site. The following is not just irresponsible, but dangerous:

"Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes."

-American Dietetic Association

Really? Even at infancy? Let's see what happens when parents decides to inflict veganism on their infants. The results can be tragic.

http://naturalhygienesociety.org/diet-veganbaby.ht...

Hmm. I guess breast milk is not part of the vegan diet. The fact that breast milk has been used as a healthy, nutritious food for babies for hundreds of thousands of years is obviously not relevant. I mean, it can't compare to a proper vegan diet for infants, right?

You know, a lot of people complain about the number of trolls in this category. But very few complain about all the cheerleaders here. Just because a piece of information on a website is aligned with your ideology, that does not make it true. Do you actually question if the information is actually correct? Or is the information automatically valid because it agrees with your view point?

Maybe those couples in the link actually went to the ADA website and believed the lies. Well, you can see the results for your self.

Veganism can actually be a very healthy lifestyle. Just don't inflict it on your infants before they are ready.

If done correctly, yes, a vegetarian diet is very healthy. Since most saturated fats are found in meats and animal products, then you'll cut down your intake of saturated fats. Also, you'll lower your risk of getting food poisoning, since undercooked meat and meat held at the wrong temperature are good ways to get a food-borne illness. Buy the book, The New Becoming Vegetarian by Melina and someone else I can't remember. That book can give you the information you need to stay on a healthy vegetarian diet.

Uh.... Soy and Green

Breast milk is vegan. It comes from human breasts and is meant for human babies. Cows milk comes from cows udders and is meant for calves.

That's a great thesis. I did a research paper on vegetarianism for my college writing class and i think i used the same sources the others are suggesting. I got an A :) The one from the ADA was the one that I based most of my points on. If you use a biased source, either for or against meat, make sure to back it up with a non biased one like the ADA or another governmental site.

Sounds good to me :) I'll try to help you...

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes."

-American Dietetic Association (not a vegetarian propaganda site, they're a group of certified professionals.) http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357

There is literally nothing in meat that we can't get somewhere else. It's a common misconception, but we really don't need it to be healthy at all. Like the ADA said, it can help prevent certain diseases (such as heart disease, certain types of cancer, etc. It can also help prevent obesity.)

As for nutrients: Protein is in almost everything and is nearly impossible to miss out on unless the diet is really terrible. That includes "complete protein." Iron is in mainly dark, leafy green veggies, beans, lentils, and nuts. Omega-3 is in flaxseeds, walnuts, and some oils. B12 is in dairy and eggs if the person still eats those, and if not there's nutritional yeast, fortified (faux)"milks", and fortified cereals.

Check out:

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/nutshell.htm

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/vegan.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/h...

Tip: Try to stay away from mentioning pill supplements and always say how to get in actual food. Otherwise, it'll look artificial and unhealthy if you talk about taking tons of vitamins.

Edit;; Ohh, I'm sorry. I didn't know about the org thing...I'm kinda suprised, my teachers always prefer org to like .com's and stuff. hmm. Well, I just went in search of a non-org site and I found nothing good. I'm sorry D: Well, you can always use the Mayo Clinic one, right?

@Soy N Green: I can see where you are coming from, however I'd like to point out a few things. First off, it was not the veganism that killed that baby. It was sheer stupidity. I dare you to try to feed a baby nothing but cow's milk and apple juice and see if it turns out differently. And please, please do not use what that idiotic couple did as a guideline for all vegan babies. Breast-feeding is perfectly 100% fine and vegan, so that should not be used as an argument. In fact, most vegans (including me) say it's best to breast-feed. When I have children, they will be raised vegan, they will be healthy, and they will be breast-fed. Please, don't look at that story as an example for the whole vegan community. It's completely false, and it is possible to have a vegan baby that's perfectly healthy.

The ADA, AHA, and Mayo Clinic's position papers about vegetarianism should be a good place to start.

Healthier.

If you can find 'The China Study' in your library it will be really useful:

http://www.thechinastudy.com/about.html

hi,

refer to this article. cite the article in your references, not the website

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/2003_ADA_position_pap...

actually vegetarians are more healthy