Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are the differences between filipino & tagalog language?

Update:

I know there are many different languages in Philippines & different dialects.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Jex
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Differences? None. Because the Filipino language was based on Tagalog.

Because of its similarity to the language on which it is based, it is still sometimes identified with Tagalog.

On November 13, 1936, the Surian ng Wikang Pambansa (National Language Institute) selected Tagalog as the basis of Wikang Pambansâ ("National Language") based on the following factors:

1. Tagalog is widely spoken and is the language most understood in all the Regions of the Philippines;

2. It is not divided into smaller, separate languages as Visayan is;

I3. ts literary tradition is the richest and the most developed and extensive (mirroring that of the Tuscan language vis-a-vis Italian). More books are written in Tagalog than in any other autochthonous Philippine language, but this is mainly by virtue of law and privilege;

4. Tagalog has always been the language of Manila — the political and economic capital of the Philippines during the Spanish and American eras;

5. Tagalog was the language of the 1896 Revolution and the Katipunan — two highly important elements in Philippine history.

In 1987, the New Constitution introduced many provisions for the language. Article XIV, Section 6, omits any mention of Tagalog as the basis for Filipino, and states that:

"as [Filipino] evolves, it shall be further developed and enriched on the basis of existing Philippine and other languages."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_language

• 1 decade ago

Filipino is the national language, which is a combination of many dialects and languages that is used as a the Filipino language. TAGALOG is one of the many dialects in the Philippines, which they say is pure and native, which sounds more romantic and pure. Most of the Filipino language is composed of Tagalog and other accepted words from other dialects and languages used in the Philippines.

• 1 decade ago

Most Filipinos are bilingual. The Pilipino (tagalog), as official national dialect, are spoken mainly in the Metro Manila area, the Tagalog region, and used in the mass media. English is spoken in government, schools, business, and everyday communication.

National or official languages: Filipino, English. Plus immigrant languages: American Sign Language, Basque, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Sindhi, Standard German, Vietnamese. Also includes Arabic and more are coming. The number of individual languages and dialect listed for Philippines is 175. Of those, 171 are living languages and 4 have no known speakers.

• 5 years ago

Filipinos speak many different languages depending on the regions where they come from. I don't know that any of them are called "Filipino." The ones I have known speak their own language, as well as Tagalog, because Tagalog is the language of business and government. Many Filipino's also speak English, as they learn it in school!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Filipino may refer to the people or citizen of the country, while Tagalog is a dialect

• 1 decade ago

Filipino language is any dialect that is spoken by a Philippine native, there are hundreds of them.

Tagalog is just one of those dialect, but since it is the national language, it is widely spoken.

• 1 decade ago

In Philippines, there are various/different languages. By example, there is the one my parents speak, Ilocano. The main language is Tagalog though. There is more than 5 languages in the Philippines.

Source(s): I'm half filipina!
  • annely
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There essential difference between the Tagalog language and its Filipino variant is the vocabulary. Filipino tends to have more foreign words, while Tagalog tends to use pure Tagalog words that would otherwise be considered archaic or antiquated. For example:

E: constitution

F: konstitusyon

T: saligang-batas

E: government

F: gobyerno

T: pamahalaan

• 1 decade ago

Pilipino is the national language

Tagalog is a dialect spoken by people from Region4, and some place in Luzon

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.