Can you recommend a decent, but not very expensive Scotch?

I entertain frequently, but we've found that our guests generally prefer wine and beer, so I rarely offer hard liquor. I've invited some new friends over for dinner, and one fellow is a Scotch drinker. I don't know anything about Scotch!

I don't want to spend a lot of money, since it'll probably just sit in our liquor cabinet -- but I don't want to look like a cheapskate with a crummy brand. Any suggestions? Is it possible to buy a small bottle of something respectable at a decent price???

Thank you!

Favorite Answer

See, the problem you're going to get into is that any serious scotch drinker is going to be into single malts, so you're looking at least $30 to even get in the door with something like a 12 year old Macallan or Balvenie.

I don't know what you consider reasonable, but if that is too much to spend, I'd say get either Famous Grouse or Johnny Walker Black.

You and I have a lot of the same tastes and interest it seems in looking at questions and what we answer. But, I would suggest you do just the very opposite with this, let me explain.

I cannot stand scotch. The only time I ever drink it, is if I am at a business social function, where cocktails are part of it, then I will order scotch, on rocks with a splash of water. I am usually a "gulper" at home with my bourbon & coke, but can only sip scotch at best...and I'll still be working on that same scotch two hours later...and thus still sober, alert and not making a fool of myself.

But, when I bought scotch for our small bar at home for the holidays, I bought Johnnie Walker Black, qt size. Expensive yes, but the bottle I purchased two years ago, is still sitting there with only a couple of drinks ever being poured out of it. Since so little of it is ever used and it last so long, it actually becomes the cheapest booze to stock on the bar. And, if you buy just a small size, it makes it look like you're trying to limit what people can drink at your house.

Source(s): Just what we do.