Why are there no Starbucks in Vietnam?

It might sound silly but every time me and my husband travel to a new country we visit a starbucks. We have visited about 7 different Starbucks in countries all over the world. We are now in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City) and there are no American coffee shops anywhere. I am really intrigued as to the reason of this. Does anyone know?

P.S Please stop telling me to try real coffee - I have and do try everything else I can that is on offer in a new country. It is just a thing we have going to go to a starbucks ONCE in each country we visit and wondered why there is not one here. We are not people who only drink in the franchised places. Thanks for your replies

Favorite Answer

i once went to a lecture and tasting of starbucks coffee... i asked why they dont use viet coffee which i find to be great coffee.. they said it mainly has to do with two reasons 1.viet nam has not yet agreed to the decent pay/wages for coffee growers /pickers...this is a must for Starbucks to buy your coffee..the other thing is viet nam grows mostly "robusto coffee " and starbucks uses mostly[if not exclusively "aromatic coffee"... this is why Starbucks is already overpriced...so to have to import all its products to viet nam [a coffe producing country] probably presents a hoast of problems...

I think the reason why there are no Starbucks in Vietnam is because there is already a famous DOMESTIC chain in Vietnam, which is Trung Nguyen. Starbucks would not be able to compete with the national brand since Trung Nguyen is better and reflects the taste of the Vietnamese.

• VN-Cop

hehe...I go to McDonalds every country I visit too...(they aren't all the same...)

There's probably just way too much red tape and corruption in Vietnam.

The Vietnamese make the absolute greatest coffee in the world. Why would I pay $5 for a Starbucks coffee when I can get one that tastes a hell of a lot better for 50 cents?

I heard that there was a starbucks shop in HCMC but not very sure where it was. Anyway, try a real coffee in Vietnam. It's cheaper and stronger. Trung Nguyen or G7 (a bit weaker) is a good choice.

• Greg S

maybe the vietnamese enjoy real coffee

starbucks is crap coffee for people who don't like coffee