My parents always criticize me when they shouldn't. Help?

They wanted me to get into 2 top notch schools and I did get into one of them, which i'm going to now. Then my mom continuously tells me i should've applied to an ivy league. I know i couldn't have gotten in but she won't believe me. it's kind of rude considering i already got into a top university. i've worked so hard for so many years, and it's just kind of mean to put me down. none of my parents finished college either. my mom got an AA degree at a community college but that's it.

they tell me to socialize with girls my age here, and the girls they want me to socialize with are stuck up, fake, loser girls who are going no where with their lives. they hang out together to show that they have "friends." i'd rather not associate with "fake" friends.

my parents dont get anything i tell them..it's like they're blind to everything.

Favorite Answer

Well, If they ever do anything to ever completely piss you off and you're ready for the consequences, you could tell them exactly what you wrote in this question.

Otherwise:

For the admissions thing, show them the entering class profile statistics versus your own and if they see you weren't in their Average or above range, they'll probably lay off on going to an Ivy league school (which let's face it, Those are completely ridiculous to apply to...I had a 33 ACT, a 4.3 GPA, and was 17th in a class of 676 and had a butt-load of extra-curriculars ....and knew there was almost no point in applying to an Ivy League... they cost more for the reputation, but are more or less educationally equivalent to a Tier 1 school (as ranked by US News&World Report) that has a "good program" for your major.)

Socializing? Tell them you're not 5. They don't pick your friends anymore. It sounds like they're trying to live vicariously through you.

Other than that, idk? Point out when you do well on a test where nearly everyone failed, other achievements, etc? Maybe they'll start to realize their daughter is doing a much better job than they did at the same age.

hmmm im sorry they are like this.

What I would do is actually let them know how you feel. You are in university, therefor you are pretty much an adult. You are able to tell your parents how you feel. Be very serious about it. Let them know how much you have worked to get here and that you are proud of yourself for being there. Try not to let you parents get you down...Be proud of yourself for doing such a good job.

Also about the friends...noone wants to have fake friends, just try finding someone a little less fake. Im sure that not everyone there is stuck up. Then you can show your mom that you are socializing. Guys are also fun to be friends with. Try getting some guy friends maybe. They are as loserish and they are a lot of fun!

I hope all goes well.

Why don't you tell them what you just said? You should have gone to a school you are interested in, not because your parents told you to apply for the school. Since they disrespect you, disrespect them until they straighten up.

Be blind to them as they are to you and do what you wish to do. Maybe they are trying to just push you so you do better for yourself, but to have that kind of attitude isn't right. You're not a child and you sound like you know what you want.

• Malice

Parents always want the best for their young. They want you to do better then they did when they were your age. But what parents don't realize is that you are your own person with your own ideas. Sure, they could try their best to guide you the right direction, but in the end, the choice is yours. I would stick with school but if I were you, I would socialize with whomever I want. After all, you are a person with your own personal wants and needs.

Their parents...

Try explaining that it's your life, not their's. You choose who you want to be friends with, not them. You don't have to be their slave. College is your future, your decision what you want to do with your life now, not theirs. Your almost an adult, it's time to stand up for yourself and do what you want.

You are going to have to learn to tune things out and not take what they say personally. It is your life, not theirs. Just keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are already successful.