Why can't I hear xbox sound effects on my stereo?

I can hear them when the TV speakers are on, but when I just use my stereo I can't hear the sound effects (like when someone logs in BLEEP or when I go up and down menus CLICK). It is hooked up through HDMI and I have digital out from TV to stereo (spif). Game sounds are all good, but when I get an achievement... show more I can hear them when the TV speakers are on, but when I just use my stereo I can't hear the sound effects (like when someone logs in BLEEP or when I go up and down menus CLICK). It is hooked up through HDMI and I have digital out from TV to stereo (spif). Game sounds are all good, but when I get an achievement the BLEEP is not heard.

This also happens with my PS3. The menu sounds are not there but playing DVDs, videos and games work just fine.

It's a new TV and stereo, and I have looked through the menus and settings. Any suggestions?
Update: @The Queen: All sounds from game systems work in games, dvds, or when playing avi files. The only sounds I can not hear are sound effects for the game systems themeselves, like when you move up and down the menus there should be a *click click* or when you get a message there is a *bloop*. It is only these sound... show more @The Queen: All sounds from game systems work in games, dvds, or when playing avi files. The only sounds I can not hear are sound effects for the game systems themeselves, like when you move up and down the menus there should be a *click click* or when you get a message there is a *bloop*. It is only these sound effects that do not work on the stereo.