how would i find information about the development of the rail yards?

im writing an essay on the air pollution in San Bernardino, near the BNSF rail yard, where hundreds of residents living with possible risk of caner due to the heavy air pollution this rail yard is causing. I wanted to introduce the history of rail yards before i begin my argument and solution! can any one please help?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

BNSF's history dates back to 1849, when the Aurora Branch Railroad in Illinois and the Pacific Railroad of Missouri were formed. The Aurora Branch eventually grew into the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, or CB&Q, a major predecessor of Burlington Northern. A portion of the Pacific Railroad became the St. Louis - San Francisco Railway, also known as Frisco.

The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (ATSF) was chartered in 1859. It built one of the first transcontinental railroads in North America, linking Chicago and Southern California; major branches led to Texas, Denver, and San Francisco. The Interstate Commerce Commission denied a proposed merger with the Southern Pacific Transportation Company in the 1980s.

The Burlington Northern Railroad (BN) was created in 1970 through the consolidation of two northern U.S. transcontinentals - the Great Northern Railway and Northern Pacific Railway - with joint subsidiary Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad as well as the Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railway. It added the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway (Frisco) in 1980. Its main lines included Chicago-Seattle with branches to Texas (ex-Burlington) and Montgomery, Alabama (ex-Frisco), and access to the low-sulfur coal of Wyoming's Powder River Basin.

On June 30, 1994, BN and ATSF announced plans to merge; they were the largest and smallest (by mileage) of the "Super Seven", the seven largest of the then-twelve U.S. Class I railroads. The long-rumored announcement was delayed by a disagreement over the disposition of Santa Fe Pacific Gold Corporation, a gold mining subsidiary that ATSF agreed to sell to stockholders. This announcement began the next wave of mergers, as the "Super Seven" were merged down to four in the next five years. The Illinois Central Railroad and Kansas City Southern Railway (KCS), two of the five "small" Class Is, announced on July 19 that the former would buy the latter, but this plan was called off on October 25. The Union Pacific Railroad (UP), another major Western system, started a bidding war with BN for control of the SF on October 5. The UP gave up on January 31, 1995, paving the way for the BN-ATSF merger. Subsequently, the UP acquired the Southern Pacific Transportation Company (SP) in 1996, and Eastern systems CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern Railway split the Consolidated Rail Corporation (Conrail) in 1998-1999.

On February 7, 1995, BN and ATSF heads Gerald Grinstein and Robert D. Krebs both announced that shareholders had approved the plan, which would save overhead costs and combine BN's coal and ATSF's intermodal strengths. Although the two systems complemented each other with little overlap, in contrast to the Santa Fe-Southern Pacific merger, which failed because it would have eliminated competition in many areas of the Southwest, BN and ATSF came to agreements with most other Class Is to keep them from opposing the merger. UP was satisfied with a single segment of trackage rights from Abilene, Kansas to Superior, Nebraska, which BN and ATSF had both served. KCS gained haulage rights to several Midwest locations including Omaha, East St. Louis, and Memphis, in exchange for BNSF getting similar access to New Orleans. SP, initially requesting far-reaching trackage rights throughout the West, soon agreed on a reduced plan, whereby SP acquired trackage rights on ATSF for intermodal and automotive traffic to Chicago, and other trackage rights on ATSF in Kansas, south to Texas, and between Colorado and Texas. In exchange, SP assigned BNSF trackage rights over the ex-Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad between El Paso and Topeka and haulage rights to the Mexican border at Eagle Pass, Texas. Regional Toledo, Peoria and Western Railway also obtained trackage rights over BN from Peoria to Galesburg, Illinois, a BN hub where it could interchange with SP (which had rights on BN dating from 1990). The Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) approved the BNSF merger on July 20, 1995 (with final approval on August 23), less than a month before UP announced on August 3 that it would acquire SP. Parents Burlington Northern Inc. and Santa Fe Pacific Corporation were acquired on September 22, 1995 by the new Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation. The merger of the operating companies was held up by issues with unions; ATSF merged on December 31, 1996 into BN, which was renamed The Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway Company. Thus the present BNSF Railway Company (name adopted January 24, 2005) dates back to the January 13, 1961 incorporation in Delaware of BN as "Great Northern Pacific & Burlington Lines, Inc."

The UP-SP merger further enlarged the combined BNSF network. Unlike BN and ATSF, UP and SP had significant overlap, where competition between the two would become a monopoly. UP and BNSF announced in late September 1995 that, in exchange for BNSF not opposing the merger, it would obtain ownership of 335 miles (539 km) of line and about 3,500 m

Source(s): For querries, email me at soumikhlder@gmail.com
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Sounds style of creepy to me, despite the fact that it relies upon why. If the view there is surprising, or in case you and your date are the two into geneology or previous trains, or in case you're nature searching for and there's a undeniable plant or despite the fact that at a sort of places, (an the two alluring or cool reason) of direction it extremely is effective. in case you're going there "in basic terms to be distinctive" it somewhat is probable going to be misinterpreted as creepy. in case you're going there for one individual to threaten the different...("on your ideas-blowing you notice the kinfolk plot...all my ex-different halves!" or "it somewhat is the place I tied him up in basic terms until now the practice got here by using...") nicely, then you probable should not be dating. Re: cemetaries, fairly some human beings flow to them with associates and kinfolk to undergo in ideas their kin who're long gone. mutually because it somewhat is definitely proper, i think of it extremely is a lot too very own of an journey to proportion with somebody you do no longer understand nicely. it somewhat is style of a downer on a well-known date, and it gadgets the tone which you're grieving, and the perception would nicely be made that your date, in case you nonetheless see one yet another, would be predicted that might assist you handle that loss. mutually as this may be actual, and mutually because it is likewise actual that maximum individuals dating are arranged to the two take from and supply to the different individual, nicely, it somewhat is style of like saying..."hi helpful to fulfill you, right it somewhat is the stuff i flow by using which you will inevitably be subjected to if there's a 2nd date" and you're better than in all threat going to end it ideas-blowing there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.