why is alice disney princess?

how is alice from alice in wonderland a disney princess but nala and keira from lion king and lion king 2 are not?

• Mandy
    Favorite Answer

Alice occasionally appears in Disney Princess merchandise (and so have characters like Nala, Meg, and Maid Marian), but she is not considered a Disney Princess. The nine "official" princesses are Jasmine, Cinderella, Pocahontas, Tiana, Belle, Snow White, Mulan, Aurora, and Ariel.

http://disney.go.com/princess/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princess

How much merchandise can you base around Nala? You can't really sell dresses or accessories based on Nala (which is the point of the Disney Princess line), because she's an animal. Not only that, but Nala was never a character who got much focus. Her screen time in The Lion King wasn't much, unlike the rest of the Disney Princesses, who were the stars of their movies. And maybe because of that, she was never a very popular character among little girls. Even when the movie first came out (WAY before the Disney Princess line existed), I don't remember there being much Nala merchandise in stores, compared to the ridiculously huge amount of Simba, Timon, and Pumba merchandise. She just wasn't ever a very popular character, and still isn't, compared to wildly popular characters like Cinderella or Jasmine. If her merchandise isn't going to sell well, why put it out there? The same goes for other characters that could be part of the line, but aren't, like Princess Eilonwy (The Black Cauldron) and Princess Kida (Atlantis: The Lost Empire). They just aren't popular enough to sell well.

I know. If you read the original alice in wonderland and alice through the looking glass you'll find that Alice belongs to a fairly rich family. I don't really consider her a princess but Disney is sorely lacking female characters who can't look out for themselves. Particularly after Mulan came out. But I do consider belle to be a princess. Cinderella is a real princess because she married the prince remember? As I said before Mulan is just way too kick butt to be a disney princess. Also tomboyish. All in all I approve of kingdom heart's princesses of heart choices but I wouldn't have minded if they had exchanged Alice for Ariel.

Alice is sometimes added to the list due to alternative versions of her story Alice Replaces the Red Queen and becomes the Princess of Wonderland, only the Princess because she has yet to become of age to be the Queen