where in the bible does it talk about god giving humans free will?

what scriptures and what do they say ..? The ones I find on christian websites do not actual imply we have any kind of free will, does anyone have any actual scriptures about it?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, CHOOSE YOU THIS DAY whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Sounds like free will to me

Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Sounds like they can choose to obey or not.

Isa 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Sounds like God wants us to think about this and decide.

Mat 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Sounds to me like man has a choice to make in this verse as well.

I think you get the point. ALL throughout the Bible, God is giving man a choice. God is letting us exercise our free will.

So, in answer to your question..."All throughout the Bible"

Source(s): ep
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Check the New King James Version: Leviticus 1:3, 19:5, 22:19, and 22:29. The NKJV says "free will"; the King James Version says "voluntary will." The phrase is used there, but that still does not mean that our will is absolutely free. We have the freedom to choose to believe and obey the gospel or not to believe. But a will that is bound by sin is not free, and that's what we have before we choose to come to Christ (Romans 6:8-9). And we would not even be able to come at ALL if God did not draw us (John 6:44).

Apostolic Believer in One God, JESUS

Source(s): NKJV KJV
  • 1 decade ago

Most of the references come from Hezekiah or II Imaginations. There are no referneces in the canonized Books of the Bible (Protestant or Catholic Canon) that clearly state we have been given free will. That is why there are many knowledgeable theologians who say we do not have unlimited free will. There are some verses that imply we have some freedom of choice. Others deny even this. Ask God to reveal it to you, and then do a word study on the word "choice."

• 1 decade ago

There is not a whole lot to show we have free will the only verse I found that is fairly clear is

Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the lord choose you this day whom ye will serve whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood or the gods of the Amorites in whose land ye dwell but as for and my house we will serve the lord.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Does not living life prove that we have free will? We either choose to accept God and His gift of eternal salvation in Heaven or not. There will be consequences to our actions, yes, but we have the option to choose. You have the power to make the decision, but not the rewards/punishments.

John 14:15 "If you love Me, keep My commandments."

God is letting us make the decision to love Him and to keep His commandments. Whether we do or don't is our decision. If we don't obey His commandments, however, we'll be punished and we'll need to repent.

John 3:16 is talking about "whosoever believes." Therefore, we are given a choice.

The Bible doesn't use the exact phrase "free will" (it was written in a different language thousands of years ago, and has been translated to different versions), but there are several scriptures that pertain to our ability to have free will.

Mark 16:16 "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

Jesus let man use their free will to arrest, mock, and crucify Him. Jesus had let people choose to follow Him or not. Jesus healed and helped those who had any faith.

Even from the beginning...Adam and Eve chose to eat the forbidden fruit from the garden of Eden, even though God told them not to.

But every decision has its good or bad consequences.

I hope this helps! God bless! :)

• Nicky
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Our free will was kind of an accident made by Adam and Eve. The first sin of humanity was Adam and Eve eating the apple of knowledge tempted by the snake when God forbid them to do so they were banished from the Garden of Eden for that. Since then, humans multiplied unto this day.

• 1 decade ago

Simply put, the Bible teaches that God elected (predestined or set in place)

to save every soul who "fears God and works righteousness" (Acts 10:34-35).

That is, before time eternal, God predestined that men would be saved "in

Christ" (Eph. 1:3-4, 7-12). God predestined the "plan" of human redemption

( Eph. 3:10-11).

God also determined that man would have free-will, the ability and

responsibility to choose to obey Him (cf. Gen. 3:1-6; Josh. 24:15; Matt.11:28.

So, we see God's part (His gracious plan of human redemption which is

accomplished through the death of Christ), and man's part (faith in Christ,

cf. Jas. 2:14-26; Matt. 7:21-23) combining to complete the equation of

salvation (Eph. 2:8-9).

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

=>Notice "WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM"

LET US CHOOSE JESUS AS OUR SAVIOR WITH ALL OUR WILL AND BE SAVED.

Source(s): HOLY BIBLE
  • 1 decade ago

Throughout the scriptures many chose their own will over God´s, even from the beginning. Eve, and then Adam both chose to defy God, and He did not stop them; because God from the beginning until now looks for sincerity in us, who is willing to make a sincere effort to do His will, and He knows them that do not.

• 1 decade ago

It's in Genesis.

To the person who suggested that an all-knowing God cannot give free will, I disagree. Although it's hard for us to fathom, I don't believe that God operates on the same time frames as us. He has created us, and given us free will, and while we are free to make our choices, He simply already knows our whole lives backward and forward. He already knows what we have chosen, including the choices we have yet to make.

• 1 decade ago

Say not: "It was God's doing that I fell away"; for what he hates he does not do.

Say not: "It was he who set me astray"; for he has no need of wicked man.

Abominable wickedness the LORD hates, he does not let it befall those who fear him.

When God, in the beginning, created man, he made him subject to his own free choice.

If you choose you can keep the commandments; it is loyalty to do his will.

There are set before you fire and water; to whichever you choose, stretch forth your hand.

Before man are life and death, whichever he chooses shall be given him.

Immense is the wisdom of the LORD; he is mighty in power, and all-seeing.

The eyes of God see all he has made; he understands man's every deed.

No man does he command to sin, to none does he give strength for lies.

Sirach 15:11-21 - in the Catholic Bible but not the Protestant.

---

• 1 decade ago

hello good question,the bible speaks of God making Adam nd Eve in his image nd likeness.does God have freewill?also in the garden He tells them to do or not to do something implying tht they could choose to do something else.So the freedom of choice is there but I don' t believe total free will exists anywhere(for people). bc there's always concequences to whatever choice you make(whether good or bad).

Even God has limited himslf to the point tht He has to obey His own words: I am not a man tht i should lie nor the son of man tht i should repent,tht which i've said i will surely do(paraprhased)Iam the Lord i change not.

Source(s): bible nd some of my thoughts on the matter
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.