How can I be safe when selling things out of my home for cash off craigslist?

I think it would be a little awkward for them to come into my home with just me and my child. We have firearms, but I would hate to think of resorting to that. How can I be safe?

That's obvious, but I do not know anyone around me, as I just moved here. :/

good point everyone. thank goodness i asked on here first! i will wait for my husband to get home and we will meet them somewhere

Favorite Answer

Craigslist scares me. I have only sold something on there once, but I had them meet me in a store parking lot. There were lots of people around, and also they didn't know where I live after I sold them the camera. We are trying to sell a truck on there right now, and I still dont feel right having them come to my house to see it! We have tons of baby stuff that I want to sell, but I decided to just save it all for a yard sale. I'm not about to be murdered or robbed over a $20 stroller lol.

I've sold a few different things, guitar amp ($1100), Car ($700), and some minor items. Never really had a problem other than people trying to rip me off "Oh it didn't work when I got it home, even though it functioned perfectly upon leaving your house, I want a refund". Tip 1 Use the anonymizer. You'll get spam right after posting, but when you delete your listing the spam will stop. Tip2 Don't offer to ship anything. Tip3 If it's anything technical, when you're showing that the device is functional, state that the customer can clearly see it is in proper working condition, and if they aren't technically apt enough to set said device up properly, it isn't your fault. Tip4 Meet during the day at a public place. Tip5 Cash only.

I have bought a few things off Craigslist and I prefer to meet the person somewhere public. Usually a shopping center parking lot or library.

If at all possible have them meet you somewhere like that. But if you cannot for whatever reason (selling a large item like a crib or something), have your husband be there when they arrive.

Either way though, I would have your husband go with you just to be safe.

When we have been broke I have made a good chunk of change from craigslist. 1.) Big ticket items have husband home plus neighbor knowing whats happening ($1000 +) 2.) Smaller items that hubby may not be home for I always watched out the window and met them out side with my phone on me for an emergency or had someone on the line if I felt uncomfortable. Be careful!!! there are weirdoes out there.

If I ever have to do that I make sure that a friend/neighbor is there at the house with me when the buyer arrives. Preferably a big ole manly man if the buyer is male. Now is a great time to meet a neighbor or two. Anyone from your child's daycare? Make sure you keep the front door open and a cell phone in your hand in a worst case (have to be by yourself ) situation.

if the items are not large or can be moved, i would meet them in a public place. just set appointments and maybe go to a shopping center parking lot for a 2 hr block or something. i can't imagine that many people will call back that you can't get rid of it all in one trip. or, instead of craigslist, have a yard /moving sale and put your things on the lawn

meet them somewhere in the day time and in public.

maybe in a store parking lot or something

It wouldn't matter if they saw other people there or not.They would still know where you live, they would scope out your house (if they were that desperate) and you will fall victim.Smartest thing to do would be to not invite people into your house.Meet them elsewhere.

• Kevin

have a friend over while its happening or have it out in the yard for them to see

you can never be safe when working with strangers, especially out of your home.