Elizabeth asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Curious question about scottish terriers?

We have a male and female scottish terrier. She just had her first menstrual cycle and my male scottie is going nuts over her. How long is she going to be in heat?

thanks,

• Favorite Answer

The other answers are right plus of minus 21 days or so. Some vets will do a spay while the dog is in heat. I suggest getting her spayed ASAP so they don't have an accidental litter.

Lol..this made me think of an unrealted story. I was at the Scottish Games festival and some Scottie breeder tried to tell me that a scottie "has lock jaws just like a pitbull" I laughed out loud and had to keep walking. I love scotties, but the whole lock jaw like a pitbull thing made me laugh. Needless to say I will not be buying a scottie from that breeder....ever.

Add: I have no doubt that they could have a medical condition where their jaws lock...but she was referring to the myth that pitbulls, and apparently scottie have jaws that "lock" when they bite. While I know they have a huge bite force for such a small dog, no dog has a jaw that locks. They are just strong and stubborn. It was the way she was almost proud of it. Thanks for the info though. I actually wasn't aware that there was a genetic predisposition to any debilitating jaw conditions.

Keep them apart. The typical cycle is 3 weeks, but it can go for 4 weeks. Err on the side of caution. And boy will you have your hands full. Make sure your male (if he isn't neutered) isn't where he can climb out, jump out, dig out or in any way get his little fellow near your female. And he will be persistent.

And Jennifer, Scotties can have locking jaws. It is a horrid condition called Craniomandibular Osteopathy (CMO). It is a genetic issue that causes bone spurs and an over/rapid growth of the jaw bone in a pup. It is very painful, but can resolve as the dog ages. I wouldn't want a Scottie from that person either. This breed does have tremendous jaw strength for its size.

• eaglin

How in many situations do you may urinate? Is that in the time of accordance with how tall you're? How skinny you're? Do young ones could bypass extra in many situations than adults? there is not any actual answer to those and that's actually based on the guy. This answer relies upon on numerous components, which incorporate: How lots water does the canine get? What variety of nutrition? How lots exercising? How in many situations is he set loose to urinate? How has he been housetrained? that is extra suitable to enable your canine exterior to apply the restroom extra in many situations than needed and on a similar time daily so as that his physique can advance conscious of going at a undeniable time. i don't think breeds incorporate a general bladder length or time decrease, so which you will could bypass via what your canine (or the yellow stains on your carpet) tells you.

Average 3 weeks, +/- some.

Get her spayed so you don't have to worried about it. Until you get her spayed, keep the Dog away from her.

• Jenny

I believe it's 21 days.

Please keep them separated! The world doesn't need anymore puppies. Get her spayed ASAP!!!