can two people apply for green card (me and my mom for my brother)? is it going to be faster?

Me and my mom are citizens, I applied for GC for my brother (unmarried over 21) on 2007. now my mom is citizen and we think if she applies for my brother too it will faster. Can my mom apply for him too? (since i have applied already). Would it be faster to get GC for my brother through my mom now that 3 years from my application has passed? how long would it take approximately? thx

• Fred S
    Favorite Answer

An alien can be the beneficiary of more than one petition at a time. Your petition would make your brother a F4-1 immigrant. The waiting period of most F4-1 immigrants is 10-years (Mexico and the Philippines take longer).

A petition from your mother for your brother would put him in the F1-1 immigrant classifications. Most people have to wait about 5.5 years for a visa in that classification. (Mexico and the Philippines take longer).

If your mother petitions this month, your brother would probably get a visa at the end of 2015 or the beginning of 2016. Your petition will produce a visa for your brother in 2017, practically the same wait.

• Ed

Except for Mexico and the Philippines, the priority date for siblings is 9-1-00. For unmarried sons 8-11-04. It appears since you filed in 2007, there are another 7 years before the visa is available, about the same time as it would be if your mother filed for him.

Source(s): Visa Bulletin

Depending on what country you are from...

you applicatrion will take as a sibling minimum 10 years... so 7 years to go

If your Mom files about 6 years from application

Not much in it ..about a year