Why do some websites require you to use a certain web browser/operating system?

I know that most web-oriented languages are platform independent (I can't think of one that isn't anyways) so it is astonishing to me that some websites, for instance when applying for FAFSA, require you to use a certain Operating System with a certain browser. I use Ubuntu Linux and I tried applying for FAFSA through Firefox, but my Operating System was not supported. For some reason, the browser itself was supported but the OS was not. Why is that? I am a little frustrated at it really and some info as to why certain websites require certain browsers would be helpful.

Favorite Answer

Because the hacks who designed the web site didn't do it right.

It takes a little bit of effort to design a standards compliant site.

I use Linux as well. You should be happy, 7 or 8 years ago there were many more sites that wouldn't work in anything but IE, back when IE was more popular.

• Arjen

The code is the same, it's the interpretation. Browsers interpretate code differently. That's because the builders of the browser think it will make the browser faster or more reliable or more fully featured or safer. So that's why different browser act differently. (especially internet explorer is annoying, it doesnt use certain features of code, for example opacity with css).

I don't know exactly why a different os has a different impac on the website (like a browser). Maaybe it's the integrated languages like c, or maybe it needs to acces your computer, only IE can do this (which makes IE less safe).

Anyway, they should support other browsers and os'es. I would mail them.

if you get it share with me please. cheerz