What did Norman Rockwell think of Jackson Pollock?

I know his "Connoisseur" was suppose to be a commentary of Pollock's work, but I have no idea what that commentary was.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Sport
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It is a commentary on the art world's complementary view of non objective, action painting and their lower view of Rockwell's illustrations.

Norman Rockwell once said “I can take a lot of pats on the back. I love it when I get admiring letters from people. And, of course, I'd love it if the critics would notice me, too.

Jackson Pollock was receiving tremendous adulation from the art world while Rockwell, who always called himself an illustrator was held a little above the level of kitch.

The Connoisseur was about that art world view rather than aimed specifically at Jackson Pollock.

Robert Rosenblum, in his "Reintroducing Norman Rockwell", from "Norman Rockwell: Pictures for the American People" explained that Rockwell’s “The Connoisseur” pinpoints the puzzlements of newfangled modern art, even inventing a plausible Jackson Pollock, whose drip techniques Rockwell apparently enjoyed imitating, even in his sixty-eighth year.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/R/rockwell.html

A vanity Fair article summed up the problem of Rockwells status with the art connoisseurs … Rockwell is an artist with a history of being patronized, mischaracterized, and dismissed as “merely” an illustrator whose pictures, which were intended for mass reproduction, cannot stand on their own as paintings. The last time the Rockwell Museum mounted a big traveling retrospective, its arrival at New York’s Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in late 2001—two months after 9/11—was taken as a sign of the apocalypse by a Village Voice critic named Jerry Saltz, who castigated the Guggenheim for “trashing the reputation won for it by generations of artists” by allowing ol’ Norm’s literalist canvases to hang on its curvy walls. Quoting Flash Art American editor Massimiliano Gioni, Saltz wrote: “For the art world to fall for this simple vision now—especially now—is … ‘like confessing in public that deep down inside we are, after all, right-wing. … It’s simply reactionary. It scares me.’”

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2009/11...

• pelt
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Norman Rockwell Jackson Pollock

• 4 years ago

I think he liked the work. Norman was doing a magazine cover paying homage to Jackson Pollock He through paint from cans to a canvas on the floor. Mr Rockwell is well documented for researching his intended subjects....

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What did Norman Rockwell think of Jackson Pollock?

I know his "Connoisseur" was suppose to be a commentary of Pollock's work, but I have no idea what that commentary was.

Source(s): norman rockwell jackson pollock: https://biturl.im/awCrS
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Laura
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awf5D

They were Abstract Expressionist painters. Abstract Expressionism was a painting movement in which artists typically applied paint rapidly, and with force to their huge canvases in an effort to show feelings and emotions, painting gesturally, non-geometrically, sometimes applying paint with large brushes, sometimes dripping or even throwing it onto canvas. Their work is characterized by a strong dependence on what appears to be accident and chance, but which is actually highly planned. Some Abstract Expressionist artists were concerned with adopting a peaceful and mystical approach to a purely abstract image. Usually there was no effort to represent subject matter. Not all work was abstract, nor was all work expressive, but it was generally believed that the spontaneity of the artists' approach to their work would draw from and release the creativity of their unconscious minds. The expressive method of painting was often considered as important as the painting itself. Artists who painted in this style include Hans Hoffman (German-American, 1880-1966), Adolph Gottlieb (American, 1903-1974), Mark Rothko (American, 1903-1970), Willem De Kooning (Dutch-American, 1904-1997), Clyfford Still (American, 1904-1980), Barnett Newman (American, 1905-1970), Franz Kline (American, 1910-1962), William Baziotes (American, 1912-1963), Jackson Pollock (American, 1912-1956), Philip Guston (American, 1913-1980), Ad Reinhardt (American, 1913-1967), Robert Motherwell (American, 1915-1991), Sam Francis (American, 1923-1994), and Helen Frankenthaler (American, 1928-). Abstract Expressionism originated in the 1940s, and became popular in the 1950s.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.