? asked in Local BusinessesUnited StatesAtlanta · 10 years ago

Atlanta Community Food Bank?

I have this social studies assignment, and I have to find an organization that deals with hunger in America but not an organization for homeless people. I choose the Atlanta Community Food Bank but my teacher that was just for homeless people. I said, it wasn't (When I searched around their website earlier it didn't seem like just for homeless). Now I'm not so sure, I've searched around the site even more but I still can't seem to figure out if like working-poor-families mean they have a home or not. If anyone could clarify this for me, that'd be great. Thanks!

If the Atlanta Community Food Bank is just for homeless people then if you know another organization dealing with hunger in America but isn't dealing with homeless people, posting it would be awesome. Thank you so much! :)

Best Answer

I frequently donate money to the Atlanta Community Food Bank because of all the worthwhile things they do, and the high ratings they've received. I also appreciate the efforts of the CEO, who doesn't make a ton of money, like other leaders of charitable institutions.

Here's some info from Charity Navigator -- a very helpful site. I think ACFB fits the bill for your project. "Workikng poor" is an open ended description and doesn't necessarily mean homeless.

Founded in 1979, the Atlanta Community Food Bank (ACFB) currently distributes almost two million pounds of food and other donated grocery items monthly to more than 800 nonprofit partner agencies in 38 counties in Metro Atlanta and North Georgia. ACFB supports a wide range of people in need, from children to the working poor. Food pantries, community kitchens, childcare centers, night shelters and senior centers are among the agencies that receive product from the Food Bank and provide food and other critical resources for low-income Georgians who suffer from hunger and food insecurity. The Food Bank also operates several community projects to aid our agencies in community building, technical assistance and advocacy efforts

Meredith has given you everything you need to know. But, and I don't mean to offend anyone, it seems like that the present generation forgets that all the answers aren't always found on a computer.

I know I'm dating myself, and that doesn't bother me, but let me offer you a suggestion...do what we did when I was in school...get out of your chair and to down to the Atlanta Food Bank yourself. Nothing adds a real feed to any school assignment than a real hands on approach and a visit is a great way to do just that. You will also be able to get a lot of their paperwork on what they do as well, which again is a nice added touch to your work.

Source(s): Been there, done that.