Angel asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

How can I get my dog to stop scent marking IN THE HOUSE?

Gus pisses everywhere in the house! Even when I tell him not to, he cocks his leg and does it anyway!! X_X Help? Is there any way I can prevent this? Could clicker training help?

Favorite Answer

Belly bands (dog diapers for male dogs) and a spray bottle with water set on high stream. He will still lift his leg, and when you catch him squirt him a couple squirts right in the face while going AAAACCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! The belly band stops the urine from damaging your home. Then when I deal with a marker, I immediately "mark" the area myself with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and a bit of my perfume mixed in another spray bottle. And, supervise, supervise supervise! And, NEUTER if you havent already. Trust me, it won't hurt your or your dogs masculinity at all, and your house will smell better......

Source(s): Decades of dogs, I have rehabbed "markers" as old as 12 with this method.
  • Erika

For one, quit calling HIM the Alpha. YOU will have to be the Alpha within the house, YOU will have to be the only in manage of the house, NOT the puppy. First and fundamental, set corporation limitations for him. The very MOMENT he lifts his leg, provide him a corporation "no" and set him external. Look into the NILIF coaching procedure for a few additional support. Second, discover any and EVERY spot he is marked, blank it good with both vinegar or bleach to completley put off the smell. The much less of himself he smells within the apartment, the fewer most likely he's to comment any spots. Training, coaching, and extra coaching. If wanted, rent a respectable teacher or behaviorist to help you. There's relatively no 'distinctive trick' to fitting the percent chief on your possess house. Train and deal with him simply the identical as you might a enormous breed of puppy. Don't permit his measurement idiot or lie to you, he is nonetheless a DOG, and demands to be handled like a DOG of any measurement. No puppy will have to be handled otherwise as a result of their measurement, and many others... due to the fact that they are nonetheless DOGS. Don't permit him to be the Alpha. Assert YOURSELF as Alpha, and as a way to do an international of well. ETA: @ Josh - Read the entire query, the puppy has already been neutered. Also, spaying/neutering does not regularly support in a main issue wherein the puppy thinks THEY are in manage as a substitute then figuring out that the HUMAN is in manage. On a part notice, forgive the caps, I'm no longer yelling, I'm making an attempt to stress, lol

Clicker training wouldn't help. The only thing to stop it is to get him neutered if he isn't all ready. But if he is already neutered then you can spay the carpet with a spray that leaves a scent that means go away basically. It works for potty training and scent marking. I forgot what it is called sorry. But you can find it at many pet stores. I hope this helps!

More intense training would definitely help you out there, and clicker training is the best around. Now, at like PetsMart or Petco I know they sell sprays that you can use to get them to stop going in a certain spot, but the best way to get your dog to stop marking his territory is to get him neutered. Its a quick procedure and will really help him calm down a lot.

• Jane

This is NOT a potty training issue, this is a marking issue. Make sure you use a proper enzyme eliminating spray to clean up any marks already present. Neutering is the easiest and fastest way to rid this issue.

I had this issue with my toy poodle at other people's houses and once he was neutered, it stopped immediately.

• srbyn1

Next time you catch him, put your shoe up his butt just hard enough to make the rascal yelp. Do it every time you catch him . If you do it properly, it won't take over 1 or 2.

if he isnt fixed get him fixed and lots of training trust me i have a boy dog and it did the same thing you just need to get it fixed

First of all CATS DONT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH! Go to the vet and get him NEUTERED for crying out loud.