Was Lewis Carroll a Pervert?

We all know about his children books but how about his taste for young girls, he never had an adult partner, the Victorian Era was very permissive believe it or not- His real name was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.

Favorite Answer

Without ANY DOUBT Lewis Carroll was a dirty old man, but because he was a great mathematician and an even better writer of fascinating childrens books like many other famous people his “transgressions” are forgotten and forgiven, and how about his photos of little girls almost naked? yes the guy was a pedophile but a very ingenious and genial one.

Voila

• Teresa

There are perhaps as many articles saying that L. Carroll was a pedophile as articles saying he was not. It was never proved; no one so far has found concrete evidence of it; it's only conjectures and speculation. Probably it was started as a rumour. It's difficult to tell. The fact that he actually knew Alice (who had a different name in real life) doesn't mean anything. The "Alice" of his books was one of the daughters of a man he knew. That, in itself, is proof of nothing at all. The pictures aren't, either. Carroll was an incredibly intelligent mathematician, a witty man, a great writer and a very good chess player. And he was ingenious enough to make "Through the Looking Glass" a chess game. He's always been one of my favourite writers, and "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" one of my favourite books (which are definitely NOT a book for children because they would hardly understand them). Both stories deal with logic, in a unique and witty way. That's the main reason I love them. The puns, the paradoxes, the metaphors, the apparently "illogical" thoughts are wonderful; they all make sense if you know how to read the stories. I don't think Carrol was a pedophile but, of course, I don't know whether I'm right or wrong. It is simply what I choose to believe. C.

• John P

You have to remember that people thought differently in Victorian times - the word 'pervert' was uncommon then. The mothers of the children that he photographed naked knew all about his activities and did not withdraw their children. Many people did not have and do not have adult partners - are they all perverts? There was a lot of child prostitution in Victorian times, indeed well into the 20th century (read Andrew Marr - 'The Making of Modern Britain'), but Dodgson lived in a genteel world and wouldn't have known anything about it.

• Alan

1

Source(s): Advanced Ejaculation Strategies http://StopPrematureEjaculation.emuy.info/?8DTY

Yes. He took naked pictures of Alice (the girl that Alice in Wonderland was written for) when she was like 10 or something. That doesn't strike me as progressive, just disturbing.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awu6q

Taking pictures of naked children is wrong anyway. I think its the parents fault who let him take the pictures. Why would you put your child throught that. And why does he need the pictures. Something is seriously wrong with him.

Caroll has many important & influential admirers so we may never know

I think that was all just gossip. You could say the same about any unmarried children's book author.

• Yes.

Aren't all men perverts?

If you meant a pedophile.

Yes to that too.

I liked him in the Professionals