How hard would it be to get a job with a certificate rather than a degree?

I'm going to school to be a medical assistant and they offer a certificate to get you started and then you can go for your associates. Is this a good idea? Can someone give me excellent advice or opinions on what I should do. Thanks to all that help.

Favorite Answer

Hi Mommyof1,

I always believe if you are given the choice between a certificate or the degree you are always better off doing the degree? Why because in the job market you will be competing against those with the degree and if you have a certificate then you will be more likely to be overlooked for interviews. In the event you are overlooked for interview due to having a certificate it will then mean finding a job will be much harder. Another reason is that a degree shows a level of dedication and an ability to think independently. Whereas a certificate does say you look for the easiest solution. My advice to you would be to do the associates in medical assisting.

A certificate will get you started with the basic skills. But down the line, you're going to need that degree for serious jobs in your field.