How has piracy become such a problem in Somalia?

How, When, Why etc.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

After the collapse of Somalia's government in the early 1990s, foreign ships and companies saw this as an opportunity to exploit Somalia's resources and waters with no repercussion. European and Asian ships began overfishing in Somalia's waters, nearly diminishing the supply of fish. Even more devastating is the dumping of toxic waste by foreign companies in Somalia's waters. Many Somalis have become sick because of this dumping and this affects the fish in the area. This frustrated Somali fishermen. With Somalia's economy failing, there are no jobs readily available. Their own means of livelihood is ruined. Somalia did appeal to the UN in the early 90s but the UN just brushed it off as "claims" and did not care to look into it. This is just one of the many ways that Africa has been exploited.

Somalis are never the ones to let themselves be exploited without struggling for their rights. They are a very resilient people. So the fishermen took matters into their own hands and began chasing off or hijacking intruders. They never called themselves "pirates" - to Somalis, they are regarded as coast guards. Later, around the 2000s, it was found that there could be quite a bit of money made in hijacking ships so some pirates today have taken it too far. However, it's quite disturbing that the world seems to think that such a poor people who spend their time and effort "pirating" without a cause. Now the world seems to be outraged by Somali "pirates" and there does not seem to be an outrage about the toxic dumping in the ocean. However, it's not like the exploitation of Africa has ever been brought to the attention of the outside world. Even common companies like Starbucks contributes to this exploitation (for further information on this, Google "starbucks ethiopian coffee beans controversy").

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2008/10/2...

• 4 years ago

In reality until the world has the balls to do something about the various disparate tribal rulers who have descended this nation into anarchy and civil war then this type of piracy will continue. I agree that this is an act of desperation and whilst not excusing it feel that there are bigger issues at the root of it. It is spreading around Africa as well and has been happening of the West Africa coast for years for very much the same reasons. Unfortunately the moment anyone mentions taking a firm hand with African dictators and warlords - you get accused of being a racist.

• 10 years ago

Poverty makes people do a lot of crazy things. Add to that access to a speed boat and a machine gun, you have all the makings of a modern day pirate.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I readed once in the holland newspaper this :

The somalian guy said ''I like it in jail , it makes me sad i have to leave jail''.

That means???

White people invade Somalia and ruin their life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Butt pirates have become common all over the World, it started in Somalia.

What probably happened is one person had sex with a large mountain lion and then all hell broke loose.

• 10 years ago

It's because they won't pay for their own CDs! Damn pirates!

• 10 years ago

When there's no government, it's pretty easy.

• Zander
    Lv 4
    10 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.