Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 10 years ago

Do you think English is a difficult language to learn?

Best Answer

it's been said that English is the hardest language to learn because we have so many words that are spelled the same or sound the same and mean totally different things......also we have a lot of slang

it's kind of bad when most of the people who speak English still can't speak it properly

I learned it from between I was 6 until.. Well, about now, I'm still learning! It's a process..

English having influenced other cultures so much, being all over television and magazines, it was rather easy to get the basics down, to get to speaking level. I learned it from watching American sitcoms on TV, reading the subtitles and figuring out how they translated to what was being said on screen. The most difficult bit is the spelling. Even native speakers seem to have some trouble with it, judging from Yahoo Answers! Like, why write "though" when it could be spelled "tho"?

The grammar is a bit.. weird. But I guess it all depends on what language you learn it from. English has a lot of germanic influences, even though it's an anglo language, so coming from another germanic language is not that difficult, we share a lot.

All and all, english is not that difficult. It's a pretty straightforward language, not too hard to grasp. This may be because of the influence of english in other countries too, though. It'd be harder to learn like, Yanamamö language or something..

The basic rules of spoken and written English are fairly easy to grasp; easy tenses, no male/female definite articles for nouns, for example; nearly anyone anywhere can learn enough standard English to be understood by another English-speaking person in short order. That's why English is the universal language of science and industry and commerce.

That being said, mastering the idiosyncracies of English spelling and grammar can be daunting, and a very slow process. Add to that the varied colloquial and native uses by English speakers in many lands, and you've got a very real difficult task at hand.

Source(s): Don't you know the King's English? -So's the Queen!

Yes, it took me a whole 2 years to learn how to say my first word in English.

Source(s): I was 2. xD

No, If you learnt it at a young age, However if english isn't your mother tongue then yes it will be hard to learn. Unless you go to a school get or lessons of english.

British English or American English?

No, I don't think so, I speak 6 different languages, and out of all Japanese was pretty hard and sign language was the easiest...

mindset is important. when i'm young, I only score average on the subject... but I start to pick up books when I'm older... I appreciate this language better.

Yes!

Yuppp.

Source(s): Not.