Three Citizenships ? ? ?

I am currently an American citizen who needs to hold a UK citizenship as well (for various reasons). Furthermore, I am eligible to apply for Romanian citizenship, as I have a grandparent who is a Romanian citizen (Romanian Citizenship Law of 1991). My question is this- can I apply for UK citizenship, AND be able to get Romanian citizenship, and all the while maintaining my US citizenship? I know its probably confusing, but I would appreciate the help. Sources would be great if you have answers.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Maggie
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

All three countries allow dual or multiple citizenships. It is a myth that you lose your US or UK citizenship on acquiring another citizenship. The only proviso is that you must use the passport of the country you are entering if you have other citizenships. For instance you must use your US passport to enter the US and you would have to use your UK passport to enter the UK.

With regard to the Romanian citizenship. Children and grandchildren of Romanian nationals can claim citizenship, but the parent or grandparent must be in receipt of a valid Romanian passport in order for their children or grandchildren to be able to claim citizenship.

http://www.romanianpassport.co.il/english/

With regard to UK citizenship, you can only claim citizenship if you have a parent who is a British citizen otherwise than by descent i.e. your parent who is a British citizen must have been born in the UK or naturalised after birth. If your parent who is British is British by descent i.e. they were born outside the UK to a parent who was born in the UK, then you cannot claim citizenship as citizenship by descent can only be passed down through one generation.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizensh...

If you do not have a British parent, you must complete a qualifying legal residency period of five years, after which you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. This is the UK equivalent of permanent residence. Once you have have held that for one year you may be eligible to apply for citizenship. If you are a spouse of a UK citizen, you only need to meet a three year residence qualifying period and can apply for citizenship as soon as you have ILR.

In order to be allowed entry to the UK to live and work and gain residency rights, you must hold a work visa, be married to a UK citizen or be a dependent of someone who holds a work visa, or be a dependent of someone who is married to a UK citizen. Student and visitior visas carry no residency rights.

The rules are changing this year to encompass the concept of earned citizenship. This means that eligibility to claim ILR and citizenship will depend on an applicants social and economic contribution to teh UK, not the length of residency. It will be much harder and take longer to acquire full citizenship.

If you obtain a Romanian citizenship, you also attain rights as an EU citizen, although Romanian and Bulgarian citizens are restricted in many EU countries from total freedom of movement and the right to work without a visa as they only joined in 2007. They will have full EU rights of movement within the EU by 31 December 2013 provided those countries have met certain socio-economic and human rights targets by then.

Currently Romanians can work without a work permit in Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. Romanians must have work permits for all other EEA countries.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/bulga...

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/migra...

• Login to reply the answers
  • Brooky
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

The answer depends on whether Romania allows dual/multiple citizenship. The UK and USA both do, so no problem there - the rest is up to Romania.

Source(s): I have USA, UK and Australian citizenship with no problems, but that's because all 3 countries allow it.
  • 10 years ago

Neither the US nor the UK recognizes multiple citizenship (I don't know about Romania). However, you can still hold citizenship for both countries, it really only matters insofar as if you were to ever break the law. You would not be extradited or deported rather than face criminal charges. There's probably some tax aspects to it as well.

• arkins
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It relies upon on the guidelines of the country. in many situations it is okay, yet each so often it is not any longer. as an occasion, having citizenships of the US, Canada and the united kingdom is advantageous, yet Germany and the Czech Republic does no longer in many situations enable it. you will desire to study up on each united states of america and be very careful, citizenship and nationality regulation would be very very complicated. @cantcu incorrect, incorrect, incorrect. once you would be giving fake suggestion do it interior the existence-form section or another place it would not easily count.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

American law allows dual citizen ship if you or one of your parents was born here. Other countries may or may not allow you to claim dual citizenship or triad or quad. Every country is different. Check their immigration and naturalization laws.

• 10 years ago

From what i understand once you take citizenship from another country, you lose your American citizenship. Never heard of having a dual or triple citizenship as a American, you need to call your local immigration office

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.