I always stand alone awkwardly in class while everyone is partnering up...?

I've always had a problem with partnering up or getting into groups when school or whatever called for it. I've always been the loner type and my social skills are severely lacking. I also happen to be quite shy so I hang back. I always wait for everyone else to pair up and see who needs a partner. If there... show more I've always had a problem with partnering up or getting into groups when school or whatever called for it. I've always been the loner type and my social skills are severely lacking. I also happen to be quite shy so I hang back. I always wait for everyone else to pair up and see who needs a partner. If there is an odd number, I will wait to see what the teacher or instructor will do.

I recently started boxing, judo and bjj. I absolutely LOVE these classes . =) The only thing unpleasant is when we have to partner up. I'm a pretty small female (5 feet tall). So of course these classes are dominated by guys who are all bigger than me.

There are a few females in bjj so that makes it kind of less awkward I guess. But there was an uneven number so I stood around awkwardly until the instructor told me to go with the 2 ladies.

Any ways, my question is, how do I make this less awkward? Is it just in my head or what?

I tried asking this guy to be my partner, but he just kind of ignored me or didn't hear me, and then paired up with the guy that asked him immediately after I did. Awkward. lol.