What do Americans value the most?

My english teacher told us that sadly it's entertainment.

But I want to know what you think?

Please only one.

I understand it depends on the person. BUT in general, what do Americans value the most?

Best Answer

Americans value nothing.

See your teacher would be right if they valued the entertainment but they don't. They talk trash about it and the people in it. they criticize it as a whole. they don't even value the ability to criticize it. They take that for granted to. In order to value something you can't take it for granted. We are all on the titanic and we are sinking fast.

I would say that while freedom is the gist of what Americans value most, that the real thing that is most valued is the ability to choose. It doesn't matter what the topic is. American's love to be able to have a choice. Tell an American that we can pick between two things or more and any situation is made less bad. Tell them they have to do something and they get rather angry.

Ex. No choice.

person A. Hello.

person B. Hi.

person A. Have cake.

person B. I don't want cake.

person A. Too bad. You're having cake.

Ex. 2. Choice.

person A. Hello.

person B. Hi.

person A. Have cake.

person B. I don't want cake.

person A. Oh, well there is another option.

person B. What's that?

person A. Death.

person B. Hmm.... I suppose I'd better have cake then.

While this example sucks the point is that American's value our ability to choose everything. Our governmental representatives, our socks, our schools, our food, our faith, etc. I would say that simply calling this "freedom" does not really explain the concept. We value our ability to choose weather or not to laze about like the fat slobs the rest of the world views us as, and watch the telly all day or we can choose to go outside and ride a bike, read a book, or try to start up our own garage band. The ability to choose is most important to us.

I have to agree with your teacher. Sadly today's American culture revolves around gaining the most entertainment out of the least effort. And whats worse is most of this entertainment is rather useless, few are the ones reading books or going on hikes to entertain themselves.

yeah that's right! American people love entertainment and money. Look around and see how big is the entertainment business in America Whether it may be movies, TV, Sports, Porn etc.

America.

From what I have heard Americans think there is no where quite like America.

To the vast majority, America itself. Their patriotism blinds them to the fact they are not truly free, safe, or well-intentioned (those controlling their country, at least).

Source(s): American and Canadian citizen.

Freedom.

to some extent your teacher is right.

I dont even want to go there...

Source(s): I hate being american.