Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How does Shakespeare make Act 4 Scene 1 such a dramatic and important scene in much ado about nothing?

i dont really need alot of information. a few main points and a little bit of explanation will do for me but i just need it quickly so please help x

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

At the beginning of Act 4 Scene I, Claudio and Hero are about to get married. The play is set to have the conventional happy ending of a standard lovestory (though what we have seen of the activities of the nefarious Don John has given us a clue there may be a surprise in store).

But at the altar Claudio denounces Hero as unchaste and refuses to marry her. Hero collapses in shame, presumably dead. Claudio and Don Pedro leave in disgust.

With the Aragonese gone, Beatrice indirectly confesses her love to Benedict (the two have been quarreling through most of the play until this point), but then asks him to kill Claudio to avenge Hero (her cousin)'s honour. Reluctantly Benedict agrees.

So at the start of the scene we have one pair of lovers ready to marry. By the end of the scene that pair have bitterly parted, but we have a new pair of lovers (Beatrice and Benedict) who have not a love pact, but a revenge pact.

Act 4. 1 switches Much Ado from a Romantic Comedy to a Revenge Tragedy. Shakespeare did the same thing in Romeo and Juliet (in 3.1 in that play). The Elizabethan audience knew that things could go terribly wrong in a Shakespeare play (as they do in Romeo and Juliet), but they will have to wait to see if this play can change direction once again.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

As stressful and a "battlefield." as an occasion, we learn that Beatrice and Benedick have been engaged in a conflict of wits for as long as they’ve primary one yet another, and she or he seems to be like packed with scorn and mockery for the guy. From Shmoop/plenty Ado approximately no longer something

• 1 decade ago

use this website on sparknotes for much ado about nothing

http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/muchado/sect...

you get analysis and everything

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.