Is there a way to try and jump start my period if I have been diagnosed with POF?

I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure about three weeks ago. I can't get in to the Specialist until June 2. Is there anything I can try over the counter to try and jump start a period? I have not had one for 7 months. I desperately want to be able to conceive my own child and will try almost anything.

Favorite Answer

Sorry about your diagnosis. I too was given the diagnosis of POF this past February, after a failed IVF cycle. I was told that my only chance to have a successful IVF cycle would be to use donor eggs. So that is what my husband and I are doing next month. I have regular monthly periods though, apparently unlike you. If you truly have a diagnosis of POF, there are not any fertility medications that will make it possible for you to create a genetic family. Sorry. It's a fact. You can use the strongest fertility stim meds at the highest doses, and it won't do you any good. Furthermore, having a period does NOT mean that you're ovulating...which is exactly the point of having POF. There is no pharmaceutical way, nor technological way available right now to provide the opportunity for a woman who has POF to have her own eggs retrieved. Perhaps you were mistaken with what your diagnosis was? I would ask your RE again. Best of luck to you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me. I am here to provide support for you as well.

ADDTL INFO: I just realized that you stated that you aren't able to get into an RE until June 2nd. So who gave you the diagnosis of POF? I suppose your GYN? Not meaning to knock your doctor, but the reality is that a GYN is simply not educated enough nor specialized enough to make this diagnosis. Coming to the conclusion of POF is made via blood work and exams. Also, it usually is made only AFTER a round of stim meds fails miserably. I suggest you get a real diagnosis when you see an RE. You probably simply will find that you just need a some clomid to help "kick start" your period. But that's a far cry from actually having POF.

Source(s): I have POF.

Don't worry, 99% of the women on POF have already been through menopause...

Provera - Sheds the lining from your uterus - From your OB/GYN

Vitex - Regulates hormones, Promotes normal periods - Drugstore.com

FertilAid - Same as Vitex (Much more expensive but has more herbs) - FertilAid.com

Good Luck!

Source(s): I took Provera to start my periods, Have had 2 periods since then (Regularly) Also taking vitex since I am irregular..Kinda.. I also have PCOS, So I am taking 500mg of Metformin