Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMotorcycle Racing · 10 years ago

is starting motocross at 12 years old to late?

i just started riding motocross about 2 months ago and have already been to the track about 6 times and gone off all these jumps. do you think i am to old to become really good fast? most pro people stared at around age 5. i think i dont have a chance.

Update:

i just started riding motocross about 2 months ago and have already been to the track about 6 times and gone off all these jumps. i ride a yamaha yz85 and am about 5 foot 2. i am one of the few girls on the track and am really being pushed by all the boys. i think that is a good thing though. i live in wilmington,de so there are not many places to ride. i go to blue diamond park. do you think i am to old to become really good fast and catch up to others? most pro people stared at around age 5 so i dont have nearly as much experience.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

No that's not too old at all. If you are serious about racing, just keep doing what you're doing for the rest of the season to get some experience and then try to enroll in a good motocross school before next season. A week at MX school is worth years of racing experience. Not sure where you live, but if you are within driving distance to VA, Gary Bailey is one of the best instructors on the planet.

• 4 years ago

Yeah, lots of racers do start when they are 4 or 5, but many of those riders also peak when they're 13 or 14 and burn out by 18. The point being there is an advantage to starting at your age. As far as a bike, the Honda CRF150R hands down. If you don't have a good bit of experience you'll find an 85 2 stroke very hard to ride. The 150R is definitely the ticket for you.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

hey sista

nah u r not to old i started when i was 13 (im 15 now) im the only girl in my race this year im going 2 nationals wit da boys i ride a yz 85 n a 125 , theyre good bikes hey ? the more practice u do the betta u will get if u keep it up u might be able to get into the wma . when i turn 21 i wanna race in super x (the Australian version of ama supercross) so ya u r not 2 old ,keep up good the work

• 10 years ago

nah dude u will be fine. as long as u keep doing your best and never give up. obviously u have set ur goal to become a pro some day so just keep working hard. i don't think im planning on going pro but im 15 and i just got a freaking pit bike ha. starting to learn how to ride sometime this weak. props to u kid, keep it up

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Hey its never too late! i am 20 years old now and i race 450 pro and open pro and i only started at 17 so if i can go through the ranks (i.e. beginner, intermediate, B, and pro) why cant yoit just takes alot of hard work and you have to push yourself witch involves crashing and knowing and pushing your limets!

tear it up..BRAAAAP!

• 10 years ago

Like Matt said, it's never too late to start. I know guys who started when they were in their 40's and 50's and are competitive in Vet class. It's all about dedication and practice.

• 10 years ago

yes its even a better chance of becoming pro because your a girl....its easier for a girl then a guy because its not as big of a sport for women

• 10 years ago

Not at all

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.