Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 10 years ago

toddler bed for my 3 yr old?

My son just turned 3 a week ago. he has started to complain that he cant sleep in his bed that its not comfortable. He still sleeps in his crib. I have tried to make it more comfortable by laying a blanket or 2 on top of his mattress and then putting on the sheets. The crib was from another family member and so was the mattress. Should i get a new mattress for the crib? would it be ok to get him a toddler at the age of 3? Could something else be bothering his sleep at night to have him complain about the bed and then to toss and turn all night?

Favorite Answer

Get him a toddler bed. They use the same size mattress as a crib.

Toddler beds aren't that big though. Ours has rails on the side and really not any more room than a crib. You could always invest in a twin bed and buy guard rails at Walmart or Target. A twin bed will last you for years.

I would prolly just get a twin bed with a guard rail thing on it so he doesn't fall out, as i can see the crib not being comfortable for a 3 year old, but if u want u can buy a new mattress and see if that helps then go ahead, or u can buy a toddler bed and a new mattress and see if that helps.

My older son was in a toddler bed at 1 year old (day before he turned a year old). But he asked for it and he was a big boy, and also acted more like a 3 year old, and was the average size of a 2 year old at 12 months old. By 18 months old he didn't like the toddler bed anymore and so we got him a twin bed, with a guard rail thing and he loves it. He is now 23 months old, and the size of a 4, 4.5 year old, and i couldn't imagine him still being in a crib.

It could possibly be something else that is bothering him, maybe nightmares? But if he's complaining the bed is uncomfortable then that's prolly it, and it's prolly the mattress since it was used before he used it and now he's been using it for 3 years, that's a long time for a crib mattress to be used.

Hope this helps, :D.

• maslo

Comfortable Toddler Mattress

i would just get him a regular bed and put bedrails on the sides. hes at the age where hed only get a year, maybe two, out of his toddler bed so why waste the money, just get him a normal bed that he can use all through his childhood. most are taking out of the crib into a real bed at ages 18 months-2 years, so 3 is plenty old enough for it.

I got my daughter a toddler bed at 3yo. She loved and still does love it at almost 6yo. (I know, go ahead and TD me for still having my almost 6yo in a toddler bed.)

Does your crib convert to a toddler bed? A lot of them do. If you get a toddler bed for him, you will need to get a new mattress for it if he is uncomfortable on the mattress.

Is he having nightmares? That could be an issue too. Or this will sound silly, but do you have spiders or bugs in your house? I ask because my daughter woke up a couple weeks ago and saw a spider (daddy long-legs) crawling above her and freaked out. It took us almost a week to get her to sleep in her bed again.

Have you ever tried laying down on his 'big boy' bed? Is it hard? If so, maybe consider purchasing a foam topper for it to make it softer. If it's not hard, then it could be that he does not feel secure in the new bed, this you will have to deal with differently of course and maybe find a special bear or something that he can sleep with to make him feel safe. Or if he is afraid of falling out of bed, you could get one of those safety rails that just tucks under the mattress.

He's way too big to still be in a crib and probably isn't getting enough support for his weight. You can buy a toddler bed, but he'll just outgrow that in about a year. I'd go ahead and get a twin (single) bed for him now. He should be big enough to climb in and out of it without any problems.

Source(s): Mom of 3 kids
  • Ginger

three years old & in a crib?! That's just nuts!

get him a cool toddler bed (you can use the crib mattress or get a new one...). But definitley get him out of a crib! I can't believe that.

• My daughter was in a crib til 3 years old and my son was in a crib til 4 years old..he made the transition to a twin bed at 4 very easy because of it. Keep him in his crib, if he likes it..why not?! and for the answerer "BB" My daughter at 12 yrs old does not have a 4 yr old...are you *****ing kidding me?! The 4 yr old is MY son, get your facts straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Source(s): 37 yr old mama of 4 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter

my son just turned 3 a few months ago and he WAS in a cot bed, but we decided to get him a new single bed with a very expensive matress and he sleeps like a log and even better than he did in his cot bed, i dont think there is a specific age to move them to certain beds, i think you should make th decision