Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesPhiladelphia · 1 decade ago

The best beach closest to Philadelphia.?

Favorite Answer

Let's start with the closest part.. Driving distance is pretty easy to figure. All of the New Jersey beaches are much closer to Philadelphia than the Dealware beaches, and much, much closer than Ocean City MD. If you don't believe, check a map.

Now to refine the "closest" part, there is no doubt that Atlantic City (and it's neigboring towns, Ventnor, Margate and Longport to the south and Brigantine to the north). is the closest highway trip thanks to the Atlantic City Expressway. The next closest would have to the the towns on Long Beach Island (Beach Haven Ship Botton, Surf City, Harvey Cedars etc.). The next closest are the Cape may County resorts: Ocean City NJ, Strathmere, Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor, the Wildwoods (North Wildwood, Wildwood, West Wildwood and Wildwood Crest) and Cape May.

When you say "best" that's a tough question to answer. jdm gave you kind of a neat thumbnail sketch about some of the towns. If you will be a "day tripper", or a "shoobie" as we call them, Atlantic City and the Wildwoods are the best. They may not be real classy, and much more urban than the other places, but, they have free beaches. In the other towns, you have to pay a 'beach fee" or buy a "beach tag" to go on the beach. They are also VERY tourist oriented, and offer more food places close to the beach and even more important, bathrooms.

If you want to see beautiful people, they all have great "eye candy" in the Summer. The folks on the beach just tend to be a lot richer in Longport, Avalon and Stone Harbor.

The beaches are the cleanest in Cape May County and there is little or no pollution in the water (when there is, they shut the beach down). I have my personal favorites, for lots of different reasons. I like Avalon, Stone Harbor and Ocean City. Of the three, OCNJ is much more tourist friendly and has a great boardwalk for kids (or adults). The only down side to OCNJ is that it is a dry town (no booze - even in restaurants).

For surfing (if that matters to you) the best is Sea Isle. It not only has pretty good breaks, but it also has the most beaches where they alllow you to surf during the Summer season. Ocean City would be second place on that issue.

Well good luck picking a beach. I am a native Philadelphian, and have been "going down a shore" since I was an infant. South Jersey is "where it's at".

• joppy

Beaches In Philadelphia

Philadelphia Beaches

• jdm

Depends on what you mean by "best".

Ocean City, New Jersey has beautiful beaches and a great town, but it's a family oriented place--the entire island is actually "dry".

Sea Isle City is close to there and has always been the post-high school / college crowd. It can be a good time out there if partying is what you're into.

Atlantic City speaks for itself. The beaches kind of suck, but the casinos and everything they offer can kind of make up for it.

Avalon is another beautiful beach town but it's money-town. I imagine it's expensive to get a nice place there, and I don't see the crowds being as wild as Sea Isle.

Margate is OK too I guess. The Bay side is where most of the clubs and bars are, but I also remember going to them when I was 16. No idea what it's like now, but I always had fun.

Ocean City, MD, Rehoboth and Dewey Beaches are all about 2-3 hours away, most likely more with summer traffic.

The ones above are no more than 75 minutes away, some less than an hour and you can take the train from 30th Street Station to Atlantic City for $8.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): beach closest philadelphia: https://shortly.im/SLPkl

That "Meh" person is a moron who clearly doesn't know geography. Maryland is about an hour and a half from Philly.

For beaches, personally I like Ocean City NEW JERSEY. I find that it's clean and a lot more calm. But I find Ocean City itself to be boring. Wildwood is pretty popular for it's boardwalk but the beach is kind of shitty and gross.

If you're going for the water and to lay out I recommend Ocean City. If you're going to have stuff to do and just see the ocean I suggest Wildwood.

• Noccie

Depends on your definition of "best".

My family has been going to Wildwood forever. The beaches are wide and free (many others require beach tags) and then ofcourse there is the boardwalk.

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware and Dewey Beach, Delaware are very popular, too.

Good question, hope you find the right answers

• Meh

Probably Ocean City Maryland

Geez tough crowd! It was the first beach that came to mind...good grief