Does my son have a fever?

He is 4mos. and the thermometer is only in Celsius and it read 37.1 under his arm which converted to 98.7 Fahrenheit. But since it is under his arm, am i supposed to add a number of degrees? He got his shots yesterday and has been really fussy and feels warm so i want to make sure he doesn't have a fever.

• Jen
    Favorite Answer

For a baby normal under the arm temperatures are 34.7 - 37.3 C However, 37.1 might be a slight fever for you baby. The only real way to know is by taking baby's temperature at the same time everyday for a week and then taking the average (when baby is not sick)

And yes, you do add a degree under the arm. But baby's temperature runs higher on average than children and adults. It's a survival method for babies. If their body temp is higher, they can maintain warmth easier in the winter and sweat and cool down easier in the summer.

It is also very normal for a baby to run a slight fever after having shots. Also very normal to be fussy and sleepy a lot.

Teething does not cause fever. This is the worst wives tale ever told. Nor does it cause diarrhea. The only thing teething causes, is gum discomfort. As he's already getting the tylenol, give him baby orajel to help with that. Your son has a viral infection. I find it odd that your ped gave him antibiotics - as they do nothing for viruses. Antibiotics are for infections - ear, nose, throat, etc. And, most antibiotics make diarrhea even worse! Not only that - but antibiotic shots come in doses...baby has to get more than one shot. #1 Make sure he's hydrated. Give him several sips of pedialyte, gatorade, or gerber now has electrolyte also. Gerber & pedialyte always has expiration dates, and we've always got gatorade on hand in my house, so I'm always more prone to give the gatorade. Stay away from apple juice, or any kind of juice for that matter, as juice will make diarrhea worse. Continue giving him formula. #2: Alternate tylenol with baby motrin. Just remember, tylenol is only 4 hours between, but motrin is 6-8. So, if you gave tylenol now, give motrin in 4 hours, then 6-8 hours after that (check box for time intervals, I'm going by memory sorry), give tylenol again. #3: Dress him lightly. In the summer, it's hot enough. Hopefully you've got air conditioning. If not, keep him in a cool place, and give him a cool (not cold) bath. Do not use rubbing alcohol - this will absorb into the skin and cause more harm. Just remember, fevers tend to spike up more at night. If it's lower or gone during the day, and he still has that flu bug, continue to alternate the tylenol and motrin. Some flus can last over a week. If you think your son is showing signs of dehydration (your ped should've given you the list of these symptoms) - no tears when crying, not peeing as often as he should, dry mouth & lips... take him to the hospital immediately. If his fever jumps to 104, he should also be brought in - even though standard now is 105.

• ?

If it was 98.7 under the arm, then techincally it's 99.7. That's a low grade fever but really isn't anything to worry about. If you want to can give him Tylenol to make him more comfortable because of the shots. That's probably the reason he has it. A fever is considered 100.5 or above.

Good luck!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does my son have a fever?

He is 4mos. and the thermometer is only in Celsius and it read 37.1 under his arm which converted to 98.7 Fahrenheit. But since it is under his arm, am i supposed to add a number of degrees? He got his shots yesterday and has been really fussy and feels warm so i want to make sure he doesn't...

Source(s): son fever: https://biturl.im/9lUkE
  • Pippin

It could be a slight fever. But it really doesn't matter. A slight fever after his shots isn't anything to worry about, and doesn't need any treatment or a doctor visit. You can treat the fussiness (did the doc recommend infant Tylenol? [if you have an unrecalled botle?]).

When taking temperature under-arm you should add 0.5 celsius. 37.6 is slightly warmer than "normal" but it's not particularly high. As a rule of thumb, I tend to give infant paracetamol at 38 celsius, start to worry at 38.5 celsius, then panic and call the doctor at 39 celsius.

Source(s): Mum of 3 in the UK where we use celsius and owner of an old-fashioned in-the-mouth/under-arm thermometer!
  • The armpit (axillary) method is usually used to check for fever in newborns and young children but is not as accurate as a rectal temperature. If an axillary temperature does not identify a fever but your child feels warm and seems unwell, confirm the temperature with a rectal measurement.

If you have another thermometer I would try using that to double check,

I hope he feels better soon! C:

• kochan

Baby Temperature 37.1

Just cuz he got his shots so he will be like that for a couple of days

well, you need to get a new thermometer.

The normal is 98.7.

But to be safe you could call your doctor and ask.

I think he is fine,

But I'm not a doctor.

The best thing for you to do, is just call and check with his pediatrician.

I hope everything is okay.

It may just be a reaction to his shots.