What are some memorable final lines from novels that you like?

They don't have to be insightful, or literary, they just have to be memorable. Here's one example of mine, from Raymond Chandler's most ambitious novel, "The Long Goodbye", that I think perfectly encapsulate the world-weary, cynical, and yet regretful tone of that story. "He... show more They don't have to be insightful, or literary, they just have to be memorable.

Here's one example of mine, from Raymond Chandler's most ambitious novel, "The Long Goodbye", that I think perfectly encapsulate the world-weary, cynical, and yet regretful tone of that story.

"He turned and walked across the floor and out. I watched the door close. I listened to his steps going away down the imitation marble corridor. After a while they got faint, then they got silent. I kept on listening anyway. What for? Did I want him to stop suddenly and turn and come back and talk me out of the way I felt? Well, he didn’t. That was the last I saw of him.

I never saw any of them again—except the cops. No way has yet been invented to say goodbye to them."