What are my chances of getting into West Point?

My GPA is pretty low. Only about a 3.0 right now, but it's almost the end of my sophomore year. I'm going to try to do student council next year. I don't do any sports because I have a job and work a lot. I go to a private, college prep school. What are my chances of getting into West Point?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The service academies make selection decisions based on a whole person score. The weighting of the whole person score is essentially:

Academic Composite(60%) + Extracurricular Composite(20%) + Admissions Panel(20%)

[Academic Composite = PAR + Sat/ Act

PAR = Weighted Gpa + Class Rank based on Weighted Gpa taking note of competitive level of high school. Competitive level of high school measured by percentage of students continuing on to 4 year and 2 year universities. PAR is an abbreviation for Prior Academic Record.]

Extracurricular Composite(20%)

Admissions Panel(20%)

[Admissions Panel = CFA + Interview + Recommendations from HS Math/English Teach/ Coach or PE Instructor/ Principal or Guidance Counselor + Summer Seminar Squad Leader's Written Evaluation.]

The weighting of the Whole person score is detailed at the pie chart at the top of page 7 of the 2009-2010 Usafa Catalog.

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Online_Cata...

About 95% of Cadets at West Point participated in high school sports. Over 80% earned at least one varsity letter. Around 2/3 were athletic team captains. If a candidate must work for financial reasons then less than the usually required amount of athletic participation can be overlooked, and the work can substitute for extracurricular participation but if he is working not due to financial need then it is a different situation.

With a 3.0 at the end of sophomore year, it is still possible if grades increase and depending on class rank and the competitive level of the school and Sat scores which can make up for a less than stellar PAR. Grades in a higher level of a class are going to be given greater weight than in a lower level. In other words a C in Algebra 1 becomes almost irrelevant with an A in Algebra 2 and an A in Pre Calculus. The high school curriculum is also considered. Be sure to follow the curriculum recommendations on page 15 of the 2009 - 2010 West Point Catalog.

http://admissions.usma.edu/moreinfo/wp_catalog.pdf

The chances don't seem to be great to be admitted to the Summer Seminar, but go ahead and apply as soon as they begin accepting applications in Mid December to establish a long standing desire to attend West Point.

http://admissions.usma.edu/moreinfo/summer.cfm

The best chance is Usna Summer Seminar as Usna Summer Seminar invites 2250 to Usafa's 1125 and West Point's 1000, tentatively scheduled to increase to 1100 for SLS 2011.

If not appointed to West Point directly from high school, then re apply in Spring of Senior Year and enroll in a college with Rotc and register for a similar curriculum as a first year West Point Cadet. This will allow Senior year grades and first year of College to augment the PAR. Should also apply for an rotc scholarship in spring of Junior year. The Rotc Commander can award nominations for West Point to Rotc Cadets, so this is another source of a nomination.

It is helpful to read the information provided to students prepping for a service academy, rotc scholarship or any highly selective university on the Usafa admissions website. Open all links to the left of the dialog box. Full CFA instructions at the end of the physical prep link. Same CFA at all service academies and the path to an appointment and selection factors are nearly identical at West Point, Annapolis and the Air Force Academy:

http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Preparation

Helpful to read the FAQ on West Point Website:

http://admissions.usma.edu/FAQs/

The Class of 2013 Profile details the academic and extracurricular accomplishments of candidates who successfully competed for an appointment:

http://admissions.usma.edu/moreinfo/Profile2013.pd...

If your grades are high enough, do the community service to join NHS. Service Academies consider NHS to be leadership and around 2/3 of each class have been members. Start prepping for the SAT. If you have taken Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2, consider late registering for the June 5 Sat Exam. I believe the late registration date is May 19. The Next exam will not be till mid October. This will let you know how much prepping you need to do over the summer.

Good Luck!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

My kid. Junior ROTC for four years, graduated as a Cadet Major. On the drill team four years. Advance diploma with a B+ average. Two years of college level foreign language with a 3.75 average on top 10 years of the same language since in Kindergarten. To say he speaks the language proficiently would be an understatement, he speaks it as a native and it is actually one that is useful to the services (NOT Spanish.). Perfect health. Could not even get a recommendation from our local Senators due to other having better records. Now you....A.B and C's. What is your GPA?..... Team sports. Were you team captain for any of them? What do you have to show any kind of leadership skills? Class president? Scout Leader? Troop Leader? If you really want to get into West Point you need to get serious about it. Take hard classes such as Physics, Chemistry, and a tough math course each semester. Get good grades in those classes. If your school does not have JR ROTC then does another school in your district have it? Check about volunteering with the Civil Air Patrol. If either of your parents are eligible to join the VFW or American Legion maybe you can get on one of their drill teams. Exercise and get fit. Do not get busted for anything.....specially drugs. ... You still have a shot at it but you need to put goofing off on your "DO NOT DO" list and get busy...

• as2633
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

If you have an "in" they are pretty good. My cousin went to West Point and he isn't a rocket scientist by any means (actually got kicked out a month before he graduated.. we still don't know what he did). How did he get in? My uncle knew a few key players and they obviously owed him huge favors.

Without out an in your SOL

• 10 years ago

im sorry but im not going to sugar coat it. Your chances are slim to none. I would concentrate in trying to get into Army ROTC where you will have a better chance. A MUCH better chance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

GPA is the KEY, unless your a Legacy maybe then you have a chance but highly unluckily..

Source(s): 3.0 they throw out your App.
  • 10 years ago

if your gpa stays where it is, you have little to no chance. you need to start looking at extra curricular stuff to make your application look better. also, start making friends with your congressman as you will need a letter of recommendation from him. study, study, study if you want to get in.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.