For Jazz enthusiasts?

What are some must have Jazz albums?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • STAN V
    Lv 6
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Being a jazz enthusiast covers a lot of ground that is split into several categories, my interest is with instrumentalists and does not include vocalists with the exception of Nina Simone/Ella Fitzgerald/Billie Holaday and on occasion Ma Rainy.

Big bands are a good introduction to jazz and would recommend the following, any Stan Kenton/Woody Herman/Lionel Hampton/Buddy Rich/Gene Krupa/Benny Goodman/Duke Ellington/Charles Mingus/Gerry Mulligan to start with for jazz standards to contemporary music.

Smaller groups of excellent improvised music should include as the "main man" Dizzy Gillespie/Max Roach/Charlie Parker/Art Pepper/Bud Powell/Clifford Brown/Eric Dolphy/John Coltrane/Dave Brubeck/Art Blakey/Oscar Peterson/Miles Davis.

There are many more i could add but the list of individual musicians would be a long one and perhaps confusing for you re choice.

The new breed of musicians would be Ornette Coleman/Cecil Taylor/Archie Shepp/Anthony Braxton/Albert Ayler/Jimmy Lyons/Henry Grimes/Sunny Murray//Ted Curson/Roswell Rudd/Charles Tolliver/Bobby Hutchinson/Billy Higgins/Beaver Harris/ David Izenzohn/Chick Corea to name but a few.

West coast musicians my choice would be as follows, Shelly Mann/Shorty Rogers/Bud Shank/Lennie Niehaus/Milt Bernhardt/John Graas/Bud Shank/Jim Giuffre/Bob Cooper/Pete Candoli/Howard Rumsey/Barney Kessel.

The J.A.T.P. were in my book the best touring units featuring top musicians under the guiding hand of Norman Grantz to come out of American Jazz in concert format.

The best quartet for me are the MJQ of John Lewis (pno) Milt Jackson (vibes) Percy Heath (bass) Connie Kay (drms).

Best Quintet of the year was Jazz at Massey Hall May 15th 1953 in Toronto with Charlie Parker,Dizzy Gillespie,Bud Powell, Charles Mingus, Max Roach.

Source(s): My Collection.
  • 4 years ago

My favorite jazz albums go from jazz fusion to bossa nova to ragtime to bebop and many others. Here are a few of my favorite jazz musicians: Count Basie (big band), James P. Johnson (stride piano), Bessie Smith (blues singing), Scott Joplin (ragtime) Antonio Carlos Jobim, Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto (bossa), Miles Davis (alot of jazz different jazz styles like jazz rock and jazz fusion) Dave Brubeck (cool jazz), Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie (bebop) etc etc. What is nice with jazz is that there's a type for everyone.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Billie Holliday, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Glenn Miller, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Diana Krall, Ray Charles, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, Sarah Vaughan.

These are some of my favorites! :)

Source(s): my mind... :p
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.