Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 1 decade ago

How dangerous is Alaskan fishing?

My husband is looking into doing this because the pay is so well, but is it worth the risk? I'm not sure how dangerous it is, do any of you?

Favorite Answer

To be honest, yes it is dangerous, but as others have pointed out many jobs can be. Long hours.

The working conditions are tight and tough, and the climate extreme.

And it is not a quick fix for money problems. I would also caution that it is not easy to get these limited high paying jobs. Especially with no experience or connections. I would strongly suggest that you do not just come here based on hope that you will find one. Make sure you have arrangements for a solid job, or the money on hand to support yourself. Remember getting here and getting geared up will cost. A lot of folks who come up to make that 'big money' end up in lower paying processing and waitress jobs to pay the rent when the 'sweet fishing job' never happened.

There is some good information here:

http://www.jobs.state.ak.us/

there is a seafood jobs link on the right

Source(s): Alaskan

Commercial fishing Alaskan waters can be very dangerous, but commercial fishing anywhere can be dangerous. Alaskan waters can get pretty rough and cold water temperatures if you go overboard can cause hypothermia fast.

Source(s): x- Coast Guard.

Kim-

Here are some links for occupational fatalities, they lump fishing in with other stuff so it depends. If it were easy then everyone would be doing it.