Can bad O2 sensors cause a car to jerk when slowing to a stop?

So my parents were driving their 04 Ford Freestar and on the way home, coming to a stop the car began jerking. Car made it home fine and the next morning on start up the Check Engine light popped up. Took it to Autozone and pulled CEL codes P2198 & P2196 which they said were 2 failed o2 sensors. Would failed o2 sensors cause jerking when slowing down? Would the failed o2 maybe running the engine lean/rich to cause the jerking? Other possible causes on the sheet say; leaking injector or FPR, and MAF sensor failure

Thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • BEA
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The failed o2 sensors should not cause jerking.

If the O2 sensors are bad the car will go into it's cold start 'open loop' default operation. It might run a bit rich, but not enough to cause a jerking feeling.

Don't trust autozone for diagnostic advice. Take it to a professional with a real scan tool.

It would be strange for two o2 sensors to fail at exactly the same time.

most likely another problem.\

• LeAnne
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I have never seen an O2 sensor cause a drive-ability problem. The computers are set pretty darn close to the initial fuel pulse and the O2 sensors merely trim these pulses to achieve the best mileage and lowest emissions.

I would recommend erasing these codes and see if they return before investing in any parts.

• keys
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

sure available, yet no no longer all that probably an Oxygen sensor would reason a motor vehicle to backfire.If an O2 sensor is undesirable it may deliver a (lean concern too lots air no longer adequate gas) fake examining to the european(pc).the pc can compensate with the aid of the fake voltage examining from the O2 sensor and will boost the heart beat width(the size of time the gas injector injector is open) of the gas injectors to boost the air/gas mixture.the end result's a motor vehicle backfiring in the process the exhaust because of the fact of a now rich(too lots gas)concern.

• 1 decade ago

no but a fuel or mass air flow sensor problem can

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.