Dru
Dru asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Do you think hunting & fishing has an impact on your kids? or you as a kid?

I believe it made me a better person... It seems kids today don't know anything about a hard day's work on farm.... or hunting and fishing because it's something you do together... and I have never met so many people that won't eat wild animals... wtf.... I'm only 35... but, I guess I got to grow up in an era that doesn't exist anymore... I feel very lucky to have grown up with a dad and grandpa that didn't conform to society... yet, I am not a total redneck... I can still be girly and go out and be sociable... I do like dresses and make up... but, I'd rather be in my ripped up jeans and cutoffs... I have a 4 year old son that I am trying so hard to raise right... I don't want him to end up with his pants down to his knees.... so I fish with him every chance I get...and soon will start hunting... I really think that this is not a hobby but a way of life... I want to instill this in him... I'd rather him be looking for monster truck tires than dealing dope when he's 16..... do you know what I mean?

Yeah, room to roam is what I had... when I was five my parents didn't know where I was or what I was doing from daylight to dark... but that was in the woods, not on the street... I was in the trees and the creek and riding horses bareback.. wish I could let my little boy experience these things... it was such an honor for me to grow up this way... I lost my grandpa some years ago.. and I don't think he ever knew what an impact he had on my life... He kept me on the straight and narrow... I followed him around like a little puppy.. and I took in everything he did...he never had grandsons... but he had me.... I loved that life sooo much.. I miss it.. I grew up happy, not handed to... Now it's about money and subdivisions... I hate it... I still live in the country and same place I grew up.. but people are selling thier farms to developers.. It makes me so sad... I think I will go to the mountains and see if I can survive off the land... Is that legal?

Hey Tim... I dont' know what you consider hot... went to Wal Mart the other day.. Wondered why this lady kept looking at me funny.. was goin' fishin' had on my long underwear under my jeans with holes in the knees and camo ballcap... had my nerdy lookin' fishing light on my hat... forgot I left it on there... probably will be on the Walmart sight for crazy lookin' people.. I can't remember what the name of that sight is.... but it's funny.. LOL... I am hot Tim!!!! Just can't find the guy that likes to hunt and fish like I do....

In writing this, tears rolled down my face.... I miss my papaw so much.... If you have a papaw go hug him for me....I wish I could hug mine one more time.....

What drama I have put in the huntin' section...... LOL but, I hope my child feels this way one day.... I hope you all know what an impact you may have on another person's life.... If you know anyone, especially a child that doesn't get to hunt or fish, offer to take them with you.... Hunt with your kids not for them.... I donate my time to "Hunters for the Hungry" every chance I get... Donate your time to something that matters.....

Will inTn... those days are gone... If you let your 9 year old go off til dark now, they would take him away from you.. If they saw what my parents let me do... lol... Sometimes I do things I worry about someone reporting... nothing wrong.. just the way people act now a days... one time I tied my little boy to a 5 gallon bucket full of rocks so he couldn't fall in the water.... he had about 4 foot 'round to play and was happy and I fished and wasn't worried about him drowning... lol I am sure I will get comments on this....

Nick - MOVE ON TO A DIFFERENT CATEGORY... YOU HAVE ANSWERED 5 HUNTING QUESTIONS THE SAME WAY THAT I HAVE READ SO FAR.... GO TO THE PREGNANCY FORUM AND ANSWER SOMETHING ELSE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT... GET OUT OF HUNTING AND FISHING.....

• SM
    Favorite Answer

Your question and the comments bring back some great memories Dru, my paternal grandfather was a fisherman and my maternal grandfather a hunter and ring tail coot. Growing up I can remember being let loose on the family farm with a daisy red rider and a white english setter. All I was told was be back at dark for supper. And of course those friday and saturday nights sitting in a boat on the river channel listening to an all night radio show fishing with my family. We would leave the lake around 4 in the morning and always seemed to make it to church for sunday service and a family fish fry. I was seven when I got the chance to carry an old 410 single shot and went hunting with my grandfather, up until then I went as the fetcher for picking up birds or rabbits if we didn't have a dog with us.

My son was 2 1/2 when I first took him to the deer stand and he was seven when he shot his first deer. We fish, camp, hunt, and travel together as much as possible. It was easier when he was at home all the time but now every time we go out he always says thanks dad. One of these days there will be grand kids to teach, but for now I have my hunters ed groups, my handgun safety and self defense classes to keep me busy and to share what I've learned over the years.

I saw a bumper sticker several years ago at a gun show, bought it, and put it on a carry case for my fly rod. It says, keep 'em in the creeks and you'll keep off the streets. I have folks ask me where they can get one of those still today. I believe we are losing a generation of future outdoors man to the video and computer age. I see my nephews want to spend time at halo tournaments instead of going fishing, shooting, or hunting because those are "boring" to them.

All I can say is congratulations to you on doing the job you have with your son. Hopefully he will appreciate what your doing for him the rest of his life.

Source(s): belief that family and traditions along with some moral and southern manners are they way to raise a child, I don't like the village idiots.

I'm 19 and I was raised in the woods and with a gun in hand. I got my .22 rifle at age 4 and was shooting my dad's .40 S&W pistol at age 6 (with his help). Been hunting deer, dove, duck, goose, rabbit, and squirrel as long as I have been able to aim straight. I also worked on my uncles farm and for my grandfather with his contracting business. I never really fished much... I guess I didn't ever enjoy it like I do hunting just because I love to shoot so the waiting had a more effective payoff with hunting.

My little (half) brother is 10 but doesn't do anything but play on the computer, wii, or playstation. He has guns and hunts some, but by the time I was his age I had already spent 2 summers running around with my grandfather cleaning houses and pulling weeds for $5 an hour. My brother is so spoiled he doesn't even pour his own drinks, so I think its safe to say he is one who has no work ethic or even a clue what to do outside of playing games.

All in all I'd say that my outdoor involvement has definitely helped me in the long run though because working on the farm and going to hang tree stands or post land instilled a work ethic I suppose practical ability in me that many people these days don't have. I'm in college and my roommate wants to be an engineer but has no clue what a carpenter's square is, let alone how to use it.

So to answer your question, yes I think that hunting and being outdoors in general has helped influence what I have become.

• MJ

I do understand. I have the only 2 and 1/2 year old on the block that can rattle off the nomenclature of a rifle. Some parents would be shocked, but I don't want to raise a PETA, bleeding heart type. Now I just have to get it across to him that we can't hunt grandma's horses. He will get to fish this year. Should be fun.

I fished from an early age, and starting hunting a few years later. My grandparent's have a farm where I was pressed into service, but I didn't mind. I was lucky enough to spend my childhood outdoors with room to roam, instead of sitting in front of the PS3 like many kids these days, learning "morals" and "work ethic" from video games.

I hope to get back to a normal work schedule, and a normal sleep schedule soon, so that him and I can do more things outdoors.

P.S. I still go hunting with my mom!

It depends on the maturity of the kids. My oldest son was hunting and carrying a shotgun at 8. He missed his first deer at 9 with a rifle. He went out in the backyard at 10 and shot a coyote by him self. Other than the coyote shooting episode it was all under close adult supervision. The oldest is now 17 and he and his 12 year old brother go shoot by them selves. They have been going deer hunting with each other this year, while I have been taking my 13 year old nephew. I have a 14 year old nephew that I won't even allow around firearms when he is at my house. So it depends upon the individuals. From what you have said, I would say that they are mature enough to go hunting. Even adults get forgetful or careless and can point a firearm where they shouldn't.

I'm 35 too, and hunting and fishing were a huge part of my childhood. Some of my best memories occured either in the woods or on the lake. I suppose that the days when a 9 year old kid could go off with his buddies and go exploring until dark are gone. As a parent, I suppose all you can do is show your child how much you love the outdoors. Go on hikes, go pond fishing, teach him about the plants and animals and when he gets older if he shows interest introduce him to hunting, canoeing, and other more "experienced" activities. From what I can tell, you're gonna raise your son to be a man...God bless

• zipper

Dear Dur: Yes I do. I grew up with hunting and fishing. Many people do not believe this but at four and a half I killed my first bear. I was sent out to watch the sheep and cows, because there was a bear killing livestock. I was told to shoot in to the air the sound would scare the bear off if one showed up. Well the bear showed up and I realized I could hit it from my rocky over look, I took aim and shot. I had never shoot this rifle before so I had no idea how much it kicked. The recoil drove me backward into the rocks behind me. When I woke up I had a lump on my head the size of a soft ball, and the night stars were out.

Great grandfather and uncle Herman frond me walking home and yelled at me all the way home. the next day they tracked the bear 175 yards were it laid died, I had taken both lungs and the top of the heart out with one shot. Wish I had put the but on the ground and shot in the air: my heart hurt for over a week.

• dumdum

You say you never met a man that liked to hunt and fish a much as you do?

HA! I laugh at that! (got that out of a movie once)- I got divorced twice because of my hunting and fishing. One left at some point during hunting season, but didn't have time to grieve over it because I was having a great deer season with my bow. And the other one left during fishing season and again, I did not have time to grieve because I had a school of 3 lb bass located and I was hammering on them non-stop. At one end of the state I have a camper trailer on a lease that has more deer and turkey then you can count, and at the other end of the state I have a houseboat that I stay on at times that you can duck hunt,deer hunt, squirrel hunt, Turkey hunt, or bass fish and crappie fish, and do it all within 500 yards of the houseboat. Then kick back and have a drink or two and watch the sun set if you wish to do so. And women expect me to give up paradise and stay home and listen to them gripe? I can't seem to remember their names at the moment, but I feel certain they had one?

But to answer your question to make this legal- There was a study done in the Georgia prison system at one time that found less then 3% of the inmates had ever hunted or fished. If that doesn't tell you something about hunting and fishing being good for kids, nothing will.

wow. wow.

I too miss my pawpaw; I do believe that is a term that is most used in the Commonwealth and I cry for him and my daddy and my aunts and uncles no longer blessing me here on this Earth.

How about mountaintopping for something that will make you want to throw up? It's the almighty dollar that is controlling everything.

I too like jeans and cutoffs. But also basketball shorts because I love playing that sport.

Your man is out there - you never know it might be an educated non-hunter as well.

Room to roam is what I had as well when I lived upon my great uncle's farm. Yeah, exploring the woods and firing shotguns that put you upon your a..... it's a trip.

I guess I can live in both worlds as I actually like math and science and want the privilege someday to teach it (and hopefully even assistant coach a girls basketball team - that would be so awesome).

Teach your son well.

Yup, when I was a kid going hunting and fishing with the "old men" was a right of passage. I remember my first 22 rifle like it was yesterday, and can still hear Uncle Charlie screaming "keep the tip up" when I tied into a nice bass. All the old guys are gone now, and I'm the old man at age 60. My grandson is 8 years old, and its time to get him to the range and to get some quality time fishin' with him.

Source(s): "If you take your kids hunting, you won't have to hunt for your kids." (Ted Nugent)

Very good questions! I for one was never introduced to hunting but I was to fishing and the outdoors. My parents always brought my brother and I on camping trips and fishing trips. I learned everything else through the boy scouts as I got older. The only thing I don't know and wish I do is how to hunt. I can use a rifle, shotgun, and a bow and arrow through scouts and I know how to properly use a knife or how to clean a fish, but I don't have hunting skills. Either way, I have never done drugs and I am going to college for an engineering degree. I guess I was raised mostly right?! Haha!