Why is it that in R&S people associate intelligence and religion?

When, in reality, religion does nothing to affect intelligence. I'd like to note that not everyone does, but it seems to me that most of the questions that populate R&S are usually trolling and have something about religious people being idiots. I'd like to note that I'm not trying to pin all the... show more When, in reality, religion does nothing to affect intelligence. I'd like to note that not everyone does, but it seems to me that most of the questions that populate R&S are usually trolling and have something about religious people being idiots. I'd like to note that I'm not trying to pin all the trolling in R&S on atheism or anything like that. This is just one of those things that frustrates me and that I'm curious about.
Update: @ RazzamaTaz, this is why I pointed out in my answer that I was not saying EVERYONE did it. I know people don't, but many seem to agree with the people that do. @Whatev I hope they enjoy it then. But why are there so many that agree with the trolls? @Jesus Shat interesting link, interesting quote from said... show more @ RazzamaTaz, this is why I pointed out in my answer that I was not saying EVERYONE did it. I know people don't, but many seem to agree with the people that do.
@Whatev I hope they enjoy it then. But why are there so many that agree with the trolls?
@Jesus Shat interesting link, interesting quote from said link, " 'I'm not saying that believing in God makes you dumber. My hypothesis is that people with a low intelligence are more easily drawn toward religions, which give answers that are certain, while people with a high intelligence are more skeptical,' says the professor."
Update 2: @Dash, I like that metaphor . . .
Update 3: @lifequest try the politics section. That place is just brutal. I think it is because the subject of religion is so controversial trolls know they will get responses.