Boo asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 10 years ago

Music for a dark wedding?

My betrothed and I are planning a wedding and I really could use some help in finding some music. Its a formal ceremony that has an underlying gothic/dark feel to it. He isn't dressing up as a vampire, just a black tux and I'm in an ivory strapless corset style dress that reminds you a little of what Victoria in corpse bride would be wearing were she a little less conservative. All in all it is a very elegant occasion/. Neither dark rock/hard core music nor the wedding march works very well with the overall style we are trying to achieve. I think I might go with Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata for the walk down the aisle but I really would appreciate any other suggestions. Plus we need more then just one song for the ceremony. Thanks!!

Best Answer

Maybe "Le Cygne (The Swan)" by Saint-Saëns or "Ballade in G Minor, Op 23" by Chopin. If you are wanting the darker feel, look for songs in 'minor' since those tend to have a more discordant sound.

I have a couple of cds that I bought years ago called "Celtic Romance" "Ireland" and "Scotland" (Lifescapes from Target) which has a lot of music with that 'haunted' sound like Moonlight Sonata. I don't know if you can still get it somewhere.

I had a friend who came down the aisle to the musical score from "The Man from Snowy River" and went out to "This Will Be An Everlasting Love." You might go to Amazon and search 'wedding music' and listen to some of the sound clips that go along with the cds. And/Or search for cds with "Moonlight Sonata" on it and see what else is on the same cd. Also, you could browse through cds at your local library to check out and try to find something you like.

One website suggests taking a modern song and give it a classical twist. For example, one bride suggested walking down the aisle to “All You Need is Love” played by a classical string quartet. Other suggestions from posters included (played by a string quartet, a traditional wedding band, a solo violinist or on mandolin, etc):

•“Here Comes the Sun” by the Beatles

•“Somewhere Over the Rainbow”

•“Come Away With Me” by Norah Jones

•“In Your Eyes” by Peter Gabriel

•“Bittersweet Symphony” by the Verve

•“Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder

•“Calico Skies” by Paul McCartney

•“Everlong (Acoustic)” by the Foo Fighters

•“All I Want Is You” by U2

•Film Scores (For example, “Storybook Love” from “The Princess Bride”)

•Musical Soundtracks

Illuminate- Der Vampir des eigenen Herzens Amber Asylum- Black Waltz Amber Asylum- Romantic Ophelia's Dream- Danse Macabre Untoten Grabsteinland (Wach auf); Der kleine Tod; Mit den Augen der Nacht; Cynthia Echo and the Bunnymen- Nocturnal Me Nox Arcana- Brides to Darkness; The Grande Hall; Nevermore; Music Box Stoa- Hommage; Introitus Clan of Xymox- Jasmine and Rose And Also the Trees- Belief within the Rose Inkubus Sukkubus- Vapyre Erotica Inkubus Sukkubus- Vampyre Kiss Abney Park- Herr Drosselmeyer’s Doll