breast feeding my 10 day old, question/ need an opinion please.?

So when she was born it took me a day and a half to learn how to get her to attach properly so thats all fine and sorted.

In the first few days she was feeding for about 35-45 minutes, then it decreased to 20 minutes and now she feeds for about 10-15 minutes.

She sleeps for about 3-3.5 hours between each feed and i rarely have to feed her any earlier.

This week i have seen 3 midwives and a doctor.

1st midwife told me that i had to make her completely drain one breast then offer her the next one and to make sure she feeds for atleast 40 minutes on each breast.

2nd midwife said feed her for 20 minutes from each breast to keep them balanced.

3rd midwife asked if she could observe me feeding her so she could check on the attachment etc, she asked me to express a little milk before hand so she could also check on that. once i expressed a little my "let down" started already and i attached my baby quickly. The midwife said that my milk comes in so fast that my baby only needs to feed for between 10-20 minutes because she is a good strong sucker.

Then i went to the doctors for a check up for both of us and she said that i have a nice healthy little girl and to keep doing whatever im doing.

I'm just a little confused. I think at the moment im going with what the 3rd midwife and my doctor said.

In my opinion if my baby is hungry she will let me know and i will willingly feed her. I dont think she really needs to be in a feeding routine just yet and i never expected her to sleep through the night yet any way lol.

I just want some opinions. did any one else have a baby d this?

I no that feeding time usually decreases once your baby passes two weeks old, and i also no that all babies are different.

Im just a first time mum and a little confused and worried.. and it seems that seeking help from a midwife is only making things worse as they all have a different view.

Best Answer

Experts have differing opinions about breast feeding, as experts on anything else do!

You sound like you are doing a fabulous job with your little one, keep doing what you are doing.

Remember, breast milk is produced on a supply & demand basis, so when your daughter goes through a growth spurt or seems hungrier than normal, just feed her more often and for longer - that way you will produce more milk.

If your baby is contented, eats and sleeps well, then you are doing fine - keep up the good work!

Source(s): Mother of 5

I also agree with the third midwife. and as the doctor said, keep doing what you're doing.

My baby girl would only nurse about 7 minutes at the MOST. And I constantly worried she wasn't getting enough because the LC said she should eat atleast 20 minutes...I NEVER bothered switching breasts because I was worried that if I interrupted her feeding she wouldn't eat anymore...Anyways now shes a 21lb 5 month old! so she obviousely was getting enough lol I think some baby's are just VERY effecient at getting the milk out...

My little one is 6 weeks now and she did something similar to what you are talking about. She would even go for five or six hours, which I never expected. Now is a different story. They go through growth spurts and want to eat much more often. After talking to my doctor, I feed her for about 5-7 minutes on one side and then switch and let her nurse on the other side as long as she wants. It usually only takes a total of 20 minutes. I felt if I let her empty one side, she didn't want the other and then I was very uncomfortable. Follow your instincts and as long as your baby is doing well, I am sure what ever works best for you will be fine.

Your right, your baby will eat when she is hungry. The more you feed her the more milk you will produce and if it's really coming in, I'm sure it's lots for her in that time frame. If she wanted more she would be crying for more. I found breastfeeding pretty stressful the first time around, so your not alone with all the questions. If she's gaining weight, then she's good. You and her will work it out. The more she wants, the more she will feed and the more you will produce. It will become a nice balance. Try not to give up, breastfeeding is great for the baby, great for you to loose the extra pounds and so much cheaper. Enjoy your precious girl!

• VicM

Since your milk is fully in the baby doesn't need to feed as long. My son could eat in 15 minutes and he was definitely getting enough to eat. And I don't know any babies who feed for 40 minutes on each breast. If she only eats long enough to feed on one breast, just start with the other breast next time, that will keep them "balanced" as well.

I've often thought the same thing, but who am I to tell them what's right for them. Can you imagine being a teen boy and your guy friends know you breastfed until you were 10? What a rotten thing to do to your son. This is not something that you can keep secret either. Other moms are going to know and kids are going to over hear. These poor kids will never live it down. My husband still cringes at the thought of sucking on his mom's boob and he only nursed until he was 6 weeks old. Guys think that way. I think he was jealous of our son nursing until he was 16 months, I couldn't imagine what he would do with a 10 year old. And what kind of dad lets their wife do this. My hubby was mad that I nursed past one year. He thought that was gross. I think he might leave me if I tried to nurse a 10 year old. You're right this is wrong, almost bordering on child abuse.

let your baby tell you when to feed her. Feeding her when she is not hungry is not natural and probably not healthy. You are doing good. Do not force your baby to take all the milk you have if she does not want it, she may get sick.

Everything is easier than you think :)

Keep doing what you are doing. It seems to be working just fine.

i agree with 3rd midwife and dr