How do I know how many pictures are on this film???? Holga Expert Needed!!!?

Ok, so I'm looking at this Holga that's on Amazon.com, and I need to find film for it so I looked at this film that's also on Amazon.com so I just wanted to know how many pictures I can take with that so that I know how many I need to buy, but I looked all over the page and it doesn't say anywhere about exposures or pictures, PLEASE HELP MEEE!!!!! I don't know how to tell any Holga experts out there help too!!! :)

hahahaha forgot to add the link sorry!! :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005MEAI/ref=or...

• kaiy2k
    Favorite Answer

With 120 film and a Holga, you can get 12 frames that are about 6x6cm, or 16 frames that are about 4.3 x 6cm.

If you are new to film photography, you might want to consider a 35mm lo-fi camera. Why? They are cheaper and simpler cameras. 35mm film is less expensive and easier to find than 120 film. It is also easier to find a lab to process your film, and 35mm film is less expensive to get processed. If it turns out that toy camera photography is your passion, then you can explore getting the larger format 120 cameras.

Take a look at one of these 35mm cameras:

Holga 135 or 135BC Similar cheap lens and operation as the Holga 120 cameras. 1 aperture setting (yes, the camera has 2 settings, but they are identical), 2 shutter settings, N (1/100 sec) and B (Bulb setting) tripod mount, cable release socket If you want the corner vignetting like on the larger format camera, get the Holga 135BC.

Sample photos: http://www.flickr.com/groups/holga135bc/

Superheadz Black Slim Devil

This is a clone based on the popular vintage Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim. It has no exposure controls and no flash option, but with it's wider than normal lens (22mm) it is capable of taking some outstanding photos.

Sample photos: There really isn't a good Flickr group for these cameras yet, so the sample photos are from the Vivitar UWS http://www.flickr.com/groups/57074580@N00/

The Diana Mini

Lomography took the Diana camera, and shrunk it down to 35mm format. The Mini, while it lacks the interchangeable lenses of the full sized Lomography Diana+, is still a feature packed camera (at least compared to the Holga and Black Slim Devil). The frame format is unusual. They stuck with the square format of the Diana camera, but it is centered on a standard 35mm frame. The reason for floating the square on the 35mm frame is that be using a standard 35mm format, most 1-hour labs will be able to more easily deal with making scans or prints, since they are set up for regular 35mm film. You can also set the camera to half-frame 35mm, which is 2 vertical 24mm x 17mm images. This translates to 2 images on a standard 35mm frame. Currently a favorite of mine, it lives in my camera bag so it is handy where ever I go. 2 aperture settings, 2 shutter settings, N (1/100 sec) and B (Bulb setting) tripod mount, cable release socket This camera is unusual in that it offers square format,24x24mm on a standard 35mm frame (24x36mm). It also offers a half frame option, 17x24mm frames (it doubles the number of exposures you get on a roll of film)

Diana Mini sample photos: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1232275@N22/

The Diana Mini is nice, but I find that unless I am working close and with a flash, the images tend to be on the softer focus side, to the point of being blurry. You might want to consider the sharper lens of the Superheadz Slim cameras (Black Slim Devil, White Slim Angel or other variant, all the same camera in diff colors). Take a careful look at the sample photos on Flickr to help you make a decision.

Whichever camera you choose, remember that the point of lo-fi photography is to have fun and don't sweat the details!

For tips for lo-fi cameras, check out my website:

http://www.dianacamera.com/

For how-to videos for Holgas and Diana cameras, check out my youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/kaituba

That's 120 size roll film. The reason why it doesn't say how many pictures you get with it is because that will depend on the camera. Medium format cameras (which use 120 roll film) have different size frames and the number of exposures you get will depend on the camera. Typically, you will get 12 pictures with 120 film, but it depends on the camera. Cameras have different frame sizes. If your camera has a 6x6 cm frame size (which most do), you will get 12 pictures.

Most "lomography" cameras like the Holga, Diana, etc use 120 film, but check yours to be sure. There are some that use 35mm film.

By the way, the film in that link is 400 ISO black and white film. 400 ISO is pretty senstive and you might overexpose it. (The ISO number is the film's light sensitivity, if you didn't know). Holgas are basically just crappy plastic toy cameras and they don't have any manual exposure control. You can't change the shutter speed. If you take pictures outside on a bright sunny day, you might overexpose that film. Personally, I'd recommend that you try something a little lower...like maybe 100 or 200 ISO. Kodak Plus-X might be a good black and white film, or maybe Kodak Portra VC 160 would be good for color.

Also, if you really get interested in film photography, you need to get a better camera. I'm sure Holgas are fun, but like I said they're basically just plastic toys. Get a REAL film camera, like a 35mm SLR or rangefinder camera, or if you want to use 120 film you should get a vintage TLR or folding camera. They will take MUCH better pictures than a Holga! You can find one in good condition for fairly cheap.

• Joe

With 120 film, it will be different for each camera. When you shoot 35mm film, almost all cameras shoot the same size frame so it's easy to say 24 or 36 exposures. With medium format cameras (that use 120 film), some will take a 6x4.5 cm. frame (16 frames per roll), some will take a 6x6 cm. frame (12 frames per roll), some will take a 6x7 cm. frame (10 frames per roll), and on and on...

The Holga can take either 6x4.5 rectangle pictures or 6x6 square pictures. When you get your Holga and open up the back, there's a plastic mask inside. Leave it in an you'll be taking 6x4.5 pictures. Take it out and you'll be taking 6x6 pictures. Don't forget to change your film counter window on the back of the camera!

If you're taking 6x4.5 pictures, move the arrow so it's pointing to 16. If you're taking 6x6 pictures, move the arrow so it's pointing to 12.

You'll need to send your 120 film to a pro lab to be processed. I recommend the Icon, if you don't have some place near you.

You may also want to check B&H Photo for cheap prices on 120 film.