What are the pros and cons of cattle?

I'm not trying to side against or with cattle, I just need to know the pros and cons for a school project. I'd appreciate any help I get, because I am to talk about cattle being an invasive species, that is why I need to know pros and cons. Thank you in advanced!

Favorite Answer

There's a lot involved here, but it seems to me you are talking about cattle on a physiological level as well as an environmental level, so I will do my best then. But first of all, I would like to correct you on something: Cattle are not invasive species. Cattle are dominated by humans, which means that where humans are, many of the time cattle will follow. You confuse the wild ecosystem with the man-made ecosystems, and that is never a good foot to start off from.

Pros:

- Roughage eaters, primarily grazers, able to eat just about any grass and legume that grows in a grassland or pasture

- Diversity created by humans through selection of breeds allows for genetic ability to be selected according to how/where they are being managed

- Dependent on humans for adequate pasture/range management and overall herd management

- Ruminants, making them ideal to convert forage to uses for body, maintenance, reproduction, and energy needs without need for any other supplement except water and salt-mineral mix

- Used for food for humans in the form of milk from dairy cattle, and beef from beef cattle (as well as dairy). Cattle also were used for draught purposes as "oxen."

- Genetic diversity allows for cattle to be able to be raised by humans almost anywhere in the world except the Poles.

- Manure adds nutrient to pastures and ranges for grasses to grow from

- Grasses benefit from grazers like cattle, as long as those pastures/ranges are being managed wisely and responsibly.

- Greenhouse gas contributions made by cattle is immaterial when one looks at the benefits of grazing cattle on a grass-only diet and keeping cattle on the pasture instead of in the feedlot

- Strong natural herd and prey instinct makes it very easy to move them from point A to point B

- Selection of good stock primarily lies on the human, though when cattle are on a grass-only management program they tend to "cull themselves out."

- Beef cows much easier to manage with minimal human interaction than other livestock (including dairy and swine)

- Can be grazed in areas where crops cannot nor will not be grown

Cons:

- Can be picky eaters, so continuous grazing of a large area will do more harm than good

- Irresponsibility on part of the manager increases risk of overgrazing and desertification of a grazing area (esp. if cattle are not moved at the right time)

- Do not move from one area to another like bison do, so they require humans to herd them from one area to another

- Ruminants tend to produce methane through flatulence and belching, which is known to contribute to global warming

- Long gestation period and only an average of one young produced per year makes herd expansion slow, as well as more time it takes for a young calf to grow big enough to be used for meat

I know there are a lot more, but that's most of what I could think of off the top of my head.

Cattle ranching is one of the leading causes of deforestation in the Tropics. As demand for cheap hamburger rises because of the popularity of fast food joints, more and more rain forests are cleared to raise cattle. Cattle manure is also a source of methane, a potent green house gas. Some ranchers also pollute the land with cattle manure runoff. When the manure is put to good use, it can generate electricity, both for the rancher and for nearby towns. Cattle, of course, is a source of meat and protein. Its consumption may lessen the demand for "bush meat." Cows milk is also an important source of nutrition and calcium for children.

Since cattle are a DOMESTIC species & sometimes INTRODUCED,to say "invasive" is to start w/a LIE!

Try again,kid.

&.....Do your own homework,instead of stealing others work-so you actually learn something.

The pro's are Rib eye, Prime rib, Fillet's,Flank steak, T-Bone's, you get the picture. The con's are Methane gas.

Research the effect of their large appetite. There are many cons, so you will be sure to find something.