What is the closest jungle to the Great Victoria Desert in Australia?

I'm writing a book that takes place in Australia, and I need to see if my character can realistically travel from his home by the Great Victoria Desert to a jungle in about three-four hours.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There are no jungles around Great Victoria Desert.

A jungle is supposed to be located in a much-northern, tropical zone where it's wet and warm/humid all year round.

The Great Victoria Desert, however, is located more south, that means it has a hot and cold season. And since it's a desert, it is dry all year round with scorching hot summers and cool winters. You surely won't find a jungle there.

Try northern Queensland. There is a desert there and also jungles/rainforests, too.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

The Great Victoria Desert is in the south central area of Australia (most of it in the state of South Australia). The nearest area that could remotely be called Jungle would be in coastal far North Queensland (Cape Yorke peninsula especially). Logistically it would take far more than 3-4 hours to travel that far. It would take 4 hours or more just to fly from Adelaide (the nearest major airport) to Cairns (and then drive for several hours to get to Cape York).

Source(s): Australian ,,,^..^,,,
  • Brooky
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

I think you're probably after tropical rather than temperate rainforest and in that case, all of Australia's tropical rainforests are located on the east coast north of Townsville, so they're a long way from the Great Victoria Desert - much further than 3-4 hours away.

http://www.skyrail.com.au/rainforests.html

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

The human population of the Great Victoria Desert is extremely small.

The majority of human inhabitants are Indigenous Australians living in small communities.

The main communities in the region are Aparawatatja (Fregon, pop.310), Pukatja (Ernabella, pop. 470), Amata (pop.370), Iwantja (Indulkana, pop.320), Mimili (pop. 220) and Pipalyatjara (pop.140).

There are no major roads through the Great Victoria Desert and no large towns or cities.

The nearest tropical rainforest is in north Queensland, thousands of kilometres away. Even by plane t would take days to travel between the two areas due to the remoteness of the Great Victoria Desert.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Ted Nugent Robert Plant Slash

• Mwah
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Hmmm, considering there are no jungles in Australia I don't think 3-4 hours will cut it. Try South Africa for some jungle action.

• Karen
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

No suh thing as a jungle in Australia. You can refer to it as a rainforest or "the bush".

• 10 years ago

There are no jungles in Australia.

• We have rainforests which are close to jungles in many ways and is found across South Australian and Western Australia

the nearest rain forest is in South Australia to its right

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

we call our jungles rainforests

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.