Can my job thats coming up as a production assisstant/ runner on feature film help me climb sexy magic ladders?

Hello I'm one of the many people looking to work in film industry. and recetly it appears that I may be about to land a role as a production assisstant/runner on an upcoming feature film in US. Just have a few qestions. I know that people start in these jobs as a stepping stone to a higher position within... show more Hello I'm one of the many people looking to work in film industry. and recetly it appears that I may be about to land a role as a production assisstant/runner on an upcoming feature film in US.

Just have a few qestions. I know that people start in these jobs as a stepping stone to a higher position within the crew/industry; I was just wondering how does that change come about. who normally makes that person's position move up. how oes it happen, do they work for the same production company/director/producer or how does that happen?

the reason why I'm asking is because I'm an irish person currntly living in england in the 1st year of my degree course in film production & cinematography. I'm going to leave the course to look for work - which is partly about to happen.

Just wondering i take this role how likely am i to receive further work on the back of it. I don't have a huge amount of money - so hopefully they payme; just want to know is this worth taking in terms of what it may lead on to, or is it likely this is a one-off with no real value for my career prospects in the future.

Just so you know I have a huge interest in film industry - thats where i want to work - and eventually (like everyone) become a director. if this job came up in england I'd take it in a second. but because it's in us makes it difficult for me and i want to know how important this oppurtunity may/may not be?
1 answer 1