Hotels, Yellowstone National Park?

I'm planning on visiting Yellowstone national park in August and I was just wondering if anyone could recommend the best hotel near the best sights or things to do. Also, since the lodges I have seen look quite basic, although not a problem, are there any hotels located near to Yellowstone that are easy to travel from? Thank you!

Favorite Answer

It's probably already too late to get reservations inside the park but you can try at this web site - http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/.

You're correct in your assessment that park accommodations are basic. I've stayed inside the park on several occasions and the accommodations are pretty basic. For the most part it's OK because you'll only be in your room to sleep (I hope). If you would like a little more comfort and the conveniences of a modern hotel/motel room, I suggest you stay outside the park in West Yellowstone. There are many hotels/motels to choose from and you can check them out at http://www.tripadvisor.com. Search for accommodations in West Yellowstone, MT and read the reviews of the different hotels/motels left by other travelers. I last stayed at the West Yellowstone Hotel which was clean and comfortable. It was just a block from the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center which you should definitely visit because it may be your only chance to see grizzlies and wolves. Seeing grizzlies and wolves in the wild is not common especially in the summer months with thousands of visitors in the park.

I recommend West Yellowstone because it's the most centrally located of all the outside-the-park lodging accommodations. Jackson is too far and you'll be spending several hours a day just getting to and from Yellowstone. The same is true of Cody. Gardiner is situated at the northern entrance near Mammoth Hot Springs but it's not as conveniently located as West Yellowstone.

Download the PDF map of Yellowstone from http://home.nps.gov/applications/hafe/hfc/carto-de... Also, download a copy of the park newspaper for summer 2010 from http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/upload/yt10s... Use this material to plan your days in the park. Of course the highlights of any visit to Yellowstone are the geyser basins so I suggest you start there. You can pretty much see the lower, midway and upper geyser basins in one day. I highly recommend that you walk the entire 3 mile loop through the upper geyser basin. It's all pavement and boardwalk and not difficult at all. After seeing the geyser basins I suggest you continue in a counter-clockwise direction around the park. If you haven't been to Grand Teton National Park I recommend you do that on your second day. Drive down for a day and on your way back stop to see the West Thumb Geyser Basin. Continue your visit in a counter-clockwise direction and be sure you spend some time in Hayden Valley to watch the wildlife. At lower Yellowstone Fall, be sure to hike down Uncle Tom's trail to the lower viewing platform. It's quite a workout getting back up to the parking lot but if you're in decent shape you should be able to do it without too much difficulty. There isn't much to see in the Tower Falls corner of the park but if you have the time visit the Lamar Valley which is probably the best place for wildlife viewing. Mammoth Hot Springs and the Norris Geyser Basin are also places you should see. There are other minor stops along the way and you'll find them as you investigate the "things to do" in the park.

Have a great trip.

• wdx2bb

Go to the Yellowstone site and try to get lodging in the park. We stayed in the Old Faithful Inn, and it really enhanced our trip.

Otherwise, there are lots of hotels in the cities right outside the park, such as Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and West Yellowstone, Montana.

Yellowstone is a great place to drive around; the many attractions are clearly marked. It's like a geology lesson.